cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIMG Integration

Jim Douglas
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems with port integration on my PIMGs. MWI and TRaP only work when placed on the first two ports of either PIMG. Cisco docs suggest placing these on the least busy ports, but that is not possible when MWI and TRaP don't work anywhere else. I have configured the PIMG to prevent conflicts with calls coming in and MWI or TRaP going out, but I still need to get this thing working correctly.

Cisco engineers have worked on this, but cannot give me an answer as to why they are only working on the first two ports.

When MWI is placed on any other port besides the first two, message lights are reveresed and/or do not turn off. When TRaP is placed on any other port besides the first two, VMO does not have any sound when messages are played back; the scroll is moving, but there is no audio.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

12 Replies 12

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are you integrating this to?

It is integrated from Nortel 81C to Unity 4.2

The problem is that this was working two weeks ago and then View Mail stopped working. Cisco worked on this, but was only able to get messaging to work on the first two ports of the PIMG.

This stinks, but when all else fails with the PIMG. Delete the integration in Unity, then add it back in and set it up. It seems to do the trick sometimes.

Also, dont be suprised if ports die out on the PIMG. It's not uncommom for those boxes to slowly loes ports. I basically do manual tests of each port, grabbing one Analog/Digital and plugging it into the port to and see if it answers, no answer, no workie.

What do you mean by ports dying out over time on the PIMGs? Are there any known reasons for this? I have a customer that looses TRaP ports after about a month of usage (the symptom is the user calls thier phone via VMO and hears static) and the port just has to be unplugged and plugged back in to reset it. This is pretty unacceptable to them, as you might imagine. Any insight would be appreciated.

j.dyer
Level 1
Level 1

what level of code do you have on the Nortel? How about the PIMG firmware level? We had to upgrade our PIMG firmware pretty aggressively to help with our MWI issues.

Also, what happens if you plug a 2616 into one of the non working ports & try to turn on/off MWI manually with the digital set? You should be able to press key 13, dial an extension, and press key 13 again to turn on MWI, or press key 14, dial an extension, and press key 14 again to turn it off.

We've also had problems with the midnight routines disabling some of our PIMG ports so you might look for disabled ports -- that would disable them from all use, but if you never really use them for voice calls & have them designated for MWI/Trap, you might not notice it as readily.

Everything is enabled and everything was working two weeks ago. I have it set up so that it works now, but only on the first two ports of each PIMG.

what version of PIMG firmware are you at? we ended up going to 5.0.64 (via tac case) to resolve some of our issues with the PIMG & MWI.

Are you doing a MWI resync at night? We had considerable issue with the Nortel ports basically giving up/croaking when getting lots of MWI requests at night during resync. We had to slow the process down to keep the Nortel from failing on a majority of the MWI requests. Those failures manifested in the Event logs on the unity server as lots of Event ID 1031s from the CiscoUnity_Notifier process.

You might try disabling the ports on the nortel side & reenabling them to see if they start taking MWI again. That has worked for us as well.

We're still having some MWI issues, but these days they seem to be centered more around the PIMG sending MWI request & the Nortel not really performing the function correctly sometimes. Can duplicate it on a digital set too, so there may be nothing we can do about it in the end.

If you can, try and roll back the pIMG to an earlier firmware. The 5.x is not always the best I have found in some spots.

any advice on which version is most stable for you when it's paired with an older Nortel platform? What about 5.x is not so nice? I'm always looking for more info...

We started with 4.0.75 & have moved through several different firmware versions in the past 6 months to get to the one we're at now -- all due to Cisco Tac cases opened...

so far, we've had much better luck in the 5.x realm than with 4.0.

Here is the Firmware version of my PIMGs

Gateway Application (ROM) |5.1.70_36797| |FRI FEB 02 18:37:57 2007|

Gateway Application |5.1.70_36797| |FRI FEB 02 18:37:57 2007|

Main Board Boot (ROM) |5.1.70N| |MON NOV 13 17:29:16 2006|

DSP Firmware (ROM) |9.1 w/Fax| |FRI MAY 20 16:38:20 2005|

DSP Firmware |9.1 w/Fax| |FRI MAY 20 16:38:20 2005|

Telephony Interface Application 6.49

Telephony Interface Firmware Platform 3 Build 190

Telephony Interface Boot 6.0

Telephony Interface ID 2-Wire (0x0)

Adept Config Default

I have been trying everything suggested and am still having the same problem. I will probably end up opening a new TAC and try to get it escalated as far as I can.

Unless anyone has some last minute advice, thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Worst case, the Nortel is going away by the end of this year.......

Boy do i wish i could make the same statement about our Nortels (I have to integrate with 3, all with different code levels) :)

If you get any good resolution information out of the TAC case, please let us know -- I for one am very curious what will turn up.