cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Collaboration Provisioning Graceful System shut down

Kevin Santiago
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am working on PCP 12.5 and I am looking to confirm what the correct steps are to complete a graceful system shut down. 

At times we need to shut down the stand alone UCS server that PCP is running on and we need to shut down all VMs over a weekend maintenance window. We have done this twice using the vmware shut down guest OS option and have had to rebuild the PCP server as the shut down corrupted PCP's database. I have worked with TAC both times and we were unable to repair the system each time. 

There seems to be no option from within the PCP Web GUI to shut down the PCP server.  Seeing as CLI access to PCP has been limited to opening a TAC ticket and requesting a troubleshooting account we cant use any CLI commands to complete a graceful shut down. Opening a tac case each time a customer needs to shut down a Cisco application is going to work at our company. 

Are there any plans to add a shut down option to the admin web gui or am i miss informed about the shut down options?

Thank you for any guidance and information on this topic. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Starting in 12.4, on fresh install of PCP, the VMware tools are installed to allow easier shutting down.  There is also a process that can be followed to manually install the tools.  I think TAC has it or can get it from engineering.   

The shutdown button has been pushed out a couple of revs but is expected to get done in a rev this year.  

View solution in original post

I ran a fresh install of PCP 12.5 and the guest shutdown in vmware now works. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

In PCP 12 .X PCP is missing open-vm-tools rpm which will enable Guest OS.

CSCve86794- ShutDown/Restart Guest OS is not enabled on PCP 12.x VMs

Please check the below post and recommendation from Anthony. I am tagging Anthony @Anthony Gerbic and I bet he can guide you on this. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/prime-collaboration-management/prime-collaboration-rovision-root-and-admin-accounts/td-p/3086751

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

HI Rath, 

I have seen that post and commented on it last year and again last week, as I am looking for an update. As you said lets hope Anthony can provide an update to this issue :-) and a status on the road map for the shut down button. 

Starting in 12.4, on fresh install of PCP, the VMware tools are installed to allow easier shutting down.  There is also a process that can be followed to manually install the tools.  I think TAC has it or can get it from engineering.   

The shutdown button has been pushed out a couple of revs but is expected to get done in a rev this year.  

I ran a fresh install of PCP 12.5 and the guest shutdown in vmware now works. Thank you. 

If this is previous version of PCP ie: build 1015. which seems to be not recognizing shell command, then just login as root and type shutdown and enter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: