cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pub/Sub Upgrade question

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

I'm in the process of upgrading a 4.x CUCM Pub/Sub to 8.5.

The new hardware I have doesn't support anything below 8.5 so I used a "swing server" for the DMA export/import, etc.

To upgrade the swing server I used an upgrade ISO I had previously downloaded to 8.5.1.13900-5.

Then, I installed 8.5 from disk, upgraded it to 8.5.1.13900-5 and did a backup on the swing server and a restore on the new server.

So far, everything is fine and dandy.

Now, for the sub...

At first it wouldn't install because the disk version of CUCM I have isn't the same as the active one.  So I rebooted the Pub into the inactive (downgraded) partion and then I got the sub to install since it recogized that the Pub was on the same version.

So now I need to get these both on the 8.5.1.13900-5 where the data import is located.  I tried upgrading the sub first (to the inactive partion) figuring once that is done I'll just reboot the Pub into the correct version and then the Sub. 

However, the Sub failed twice on the upgrade with an error saying it failed reading from the source file.  So, I rebooted the Pub into the correct version and I'm trying again to upgrade the Sub.  Hopefully this will work.

So, where did I go wrong and what should I do differently?

All criticism accepted!

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

gmgarrian
Level 4
Level 4

Just to clarify, during the upgrade it loads the whole iso from the ftp source and completes the integrity check with no problems.  It's during the install process where it fails.

My next attempt is still loading up...

Crossing my fingers!

Failed again.  Here's a screenshot.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi "G" ,

You may have to start back at the point where you built the swing server. Use

only the boot DVD of 8.5 for the "swing" build (with DMA and subsequent DRS) and

use this same build DVD for the new Pub and Sub. Once you are up and running upgrade to

8.5.1.13900-5.

Just a thought

Cheers!

Rob

I hope that isn't the case!

I contacted TAC and they said this is happens all the time and I should try a different ftp/sftp utility or try burning the iso to disk.

I've burned the iso and am trying that now. 

TAC did confirm that this is an issue with the file and not a configuration issue or an issue with the order that I upgraded the pub/sub.

Crossing fingers!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi "G",

Well, let's hope that is the case Best of luck!

Cheers!

Rob

The upgrade failed again and I noticed that all the services on the Sub were deactivated and they would not start due to a database error.

I then rebooted the Pub into the inactive partition which is the downgraded version matching the current Sub version.  This allowed me to activate the services on the Sub.

Then,  I ran the upgrade on the Sub and it seemed to take.  I then rebooted the Pub into the correct (upgraded) version.  I went to switch versions on the Sub but it only show the active version being the lower (incorrect) version.  I rebooted anyway thinking it may boot into the upgraded version but it didn't.

When both servers came up, the Pub into the correct (upgraded) version and the Sub into the wrong version I checked the services on the Sub and they're activated and running.  I'm trying to run the upgrade again and I selected to reboot into the inactive partition automatically this time.

Thoughts?  I feel like I'm chasing my tail...