Helpful
Replies

Publisher down - Steps of Reinstallation

mazenelhourani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am facing the current problem;

I have a CUCM cluster, version 6.1. The Publisher is down and I need to reinstall the CUCM on it.

What are the steps to do so? All I know is that I cannot replicate from the subscriber to the publisher.

Do I install normally and redo all the configuration?

Does it work if I do a backup on the Subscriber and restore on the Publisher?

I know it's not a hard task but I just don't know the exact steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mazen

Here is the related info for your

version. I'm hoping you have a DRS backup

Replacing the Publisher Node

Complete the following tasks to replace the Cisco Unified Communications Manager publisher server. If you are replacing a single server that is not part of a cluster, follow this procedure to replace your server.

Caution If you are replacing a publisher node in a cluster, you must also reinstall all the subscriber nodes and dedicated TFTP servers in the cluster, after replacing the publisher node.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_1/cluster/clstr611.html#wp87717

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have a DRS backup. The servers belong to a customer.

So from what I understood here, I should first reinstall the publisher and then reinstall the Subscriber.

I can do a backup for the Subscriber since it's still up and running. But since I don't have a publisher's backup, I will need to reconfigure it from 0. I wouldn't need to restore the subscriber, I'll just do the replication. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Mazen

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mazen

You are most welcome my friend

This is not a good situation, to be sure;

Unfortunately, I don't have a DRS backup. The servers belong to a customer. Not Good

So from what I understood here, I should first reinstall the publisher and then reinstall the Subscriber. That is the only way with a 6.x CUCM version

I can do a backup for the Subscriber since it's still up and running. But since I don't have a publisher's backup, I will need to reconfigure it from 0. I wouldn't need to restore the subscriber, I'll just do the replication. Is that correct? The DRS Backup would have to have been done from Pub. The Subs will have to be rebuilt after the Pub has been completed and replication can then take place.

Best of luck with this.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yeah I know it's a bad situation. It belongs to a customer and he called me for urgent support.

It's no problem, it's not a big configuration. So I can do it all back in one day.

This customer is a pain in the ass. When I first installed the cluster, they had a power failure. I told them to get a UPS. And replaced the primary (before installing a subscriber), and now again, the publisher is down after the UPS ran totally out of  power lol ( I got some linux errors regarding the file systems, the recovery didn't work at all!! it said the group descriptors look bad.. I am not gonna bother much with it, so I'll just reinstall).. Well, I have to be patient with that customer lol

Thanks Rob!

Hi Mazen,

I must applaud your very calm, patient demeanor here It is

easy to get frustrated with clients, but without them where would we be?

+5 points for your very professional outlook.

Best of luck here my friend.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob, it means to me when it comes from a professional like yourself.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted when I go on site on Monday!

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,

Mazen

Hi Rob,

Thank you! All went fine as planned.

By the way, you said in a previous post that for this version (6.1(1b)) you can't use the subscriber's configuration backup to restore it back later.

In later versions, we can do a backup/restore just on the publisher? Can we ever backup on the one of subscriber and restore on the publisher?

Thank you!

Hi Mazen,

Great work my friend

The statement;

By the way, you said in a previous post that for this version (6.1(1b)) you can't use the subscriber's configuration backup to restore it back later.

Should really say;

you can't use the subscriber's configuration backup to restore a Publisher/First Node later.

This statement carries across to all current CUCM versions. So Pub backup to Pub restore (same version etc.) & Sub backup to Sub restore (same version etc.) This is explained quite nicely here;

http://cisco.biz/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/7_0_1/DRS_CUCM/drsag701.html

Cheers!

Rob

Alright alright I misunderstood a previous post because that's the info I already know

Thanks for all the help Rob.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: