Views
Helpful
Replies

"clock source line primary" disappear after a lack of power

giuseppe.tetti1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

we have configured, on a ISR4331/K9, Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.07.0 Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ISR Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Versi on 16.7.1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc6), the following set of commands:

controller E1 0/1/0
clock source line primary
pri-group timeslots 1-31 service mgcp
!
controller E1 0/1/1
clock source line secondary

When the router reboot after a power black out, "clock source line" commands are lost as follows:

controller E1 0/1/0
!
controller E1 0/1/1

Is there any reasons ? or it can be a sort of bug ?

Thank you for your kind help.

Giuseppe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please ask your off topic question to the OP in a separate post.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lukem80
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting the exact same problem on our ISR 4331. Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.12.03. causing Slip Secs on the PRI/T1 and errors. clock source line primary is missing from controller t1 after router reloads

Nominated Interfaces

Interface SigType Mode/QL Prio QL_IN ESMC Tx ESMC Rx
Internal NA NA/Dis 251 - - -
*T1 0/1/0 NA NA/Dis 1 - - -

after power outage

Nominated Interfaces

Interface SigType Mode/QL Prio QL_IN ESMC Tx ESMC Rx
*Internal NA NA/Dis 251 - - -

It is probably that the configuration gets wiped out during the download of the MGCP configuration from call manager. Assuming this isn't a gateway where you make frequent changes, you can turn off the config download option with

no ccm-manager config

That does mean if you do make changes, you will have to manually stop and restart the MGCP service on the gateway

no mgcp
! wait for MGCP process to stop
mgcp

I have also seen this behavior in an ISR 4K MGCP gateway. Quite annoying!

So I opened a TAC case and the tech said to go into Call Manager, Device, Gateway, then locate your MGCP Gateway that is having the problem.. click on the T1 PRI endpoint and change the clock setting there to External Primary all of mine were set to just External. if you have more than one PRI circuit on the gateway you can select External Secondary for those.

you were right the configuration gets wiped during the download of the MGCP config. I bet your solution would work too. 

contemE
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 - 8 port NIMs on my gw.  All with PRI.  Would I make port 0 on both cards External Primary?  And is it mandatory to set the other 7 ports to External Secondary, or can leave them with just the default of "External"?

Please ask your off topic question to the OP in a separate post.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, actually my reply is based on this topic and I came across this upon searching on the internet for my issue.

Right now, if my 4431 were to reboot, I would lose the Clock Soure is Line Primary config and it would default to Clock Source is Line.  Then I will get slips.  Per this article, that is because the 4431 on power up will pull config from CUCM.

In CUCM all of the PRIs were set to just External.  So I followed this article and set 0/1/0 and 0/2/0 to Clock External Primary and left all other PRIs as just External.  We rebooted the 4431 and though the config in CLI shows Clock Source is Line Primary on 0/1/0 and 0/2/0 (all others are stayed Clock Source is Line), I am getting alot of slips.

Versus, prior to changing the parameter in CUCM, when the 4431 rebooted, we would manually configure Clock Source is Line Primary for 0/1/0 and 0/2/0 to prevent the slips.

My inquiry is very similar to this topic....but if you want me to post somewhere else I'd be more than happy to.

Thanks!

The OP topic is from my understanding about that part of the configuration is disappearing, whereas you initially asked for how to put a specific configuration to get some of your interfaces to act as primary clock. In general I would say that you’d be better off to not use MGCP for the control of your PRIs. You’d get more control over specific parts of configuration if you’ll use SIP as the control protocol.

Response Signature

Ok thank you Roger!