Views
Helpful
Replies

re-installing CUCM 6.3.1

Simon Roberts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 2 Call Manger servers that host 6.3.1 in a cluster.  One of the servers has had a new motherboard so we need to re-install call manager software.

Options are:

1. Setup up Call Manager with a new ip and name.  Once software is installed , services are running and phones migared to new Call Manger sever delete refence to old Call Manger server.

2. re-install  Call Manager Server software using the same host name as the previous setup

Which would be the preferred option.

thanks in advance , Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Simon

You don't actually need DNS for CUCM to work correctly. I wouldn't worry hugely about the domain, however if you go into CUCM Operating System Adminstration on the Publisher you should be able to match up the parameters there.

In terms of your device pools, yes, definitely the way to do it. Reconfigure the DPs to use the Pub as primary. This way you can get the Sub working again before you move phones back again.

When you add the Sub to the cluster it will pull a copy of the database from the Pub when you do this. It takes quite a few minutes to run a full replication, so you don't want any phones on the Sub during this time. Doing it this way should allow you to build and test the sub with no loss of service.

HTH. BArry

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the publisher is down and you need to reinstall it, simply follow the DRS restore procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/6_0_1/drs/drsag601.html

Im surprised the motherboard would require you to re-install CUCM.  I dont think Linx would care that much.  Its really about the drive/processor.

Remember, you must use the SAME IP and HOSTNAME.  otherwise DRS will not for you.

If your Subscriber has the bad motherboard, just reinstall.  Subscribers are really just copies of your publisher.

thanks for you reply.

It's the subscriber that has failed and we have no backup.

I understand that by default once Call Manger is installed, no services will be running, is this correct?  I also understand that once I start the Cisco Call Manger service data replication between Pub and Sub will begin, is this correct.

During  install I am asked to insert DNS  server ip address and domain, I have found enters for DNS servers but not for Domain , how do I find out what value entered for this when the Call Manger cluster was first set up.

Most phones are members of the sub-pub device pool.  Would you suggest that I reassign phones to pub-sub device pool before re-install of software.  If I don't do this I have concerns that once CM has been installed on subscriber, the Call manger Service is started to updated Publisher DB there will be an outage of phone services whilst phones are reassigned to use subscriber. Would you agree with this?

thanks again

Hi Simon

You don't actually need DNS for CUCM to work correctly. I wouldn't worry hugely about the domain, however if you go into CUCM Operating System Adminstration on the Publisher you should be able to match up the parameters there.

In terms of your device pools, yes, definitely the way to do it. Reconfigure the DPs to use the Pub as primary. This way you can get the Sub working again before you move phones back again.

When you add the Sub to the cluster it will pull a copy of the database from the Pub when you do this. It takes quite a few minutes to run a full replication, so you don't want any phones on the Sub during this time. Doing it this way should allow you to build and test the sub with no loss of service.

HTH. BArry

thanks for the info

Simon