Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-routing or dead-ending calls from 'Unknown Number'

Does anyone have a clever way to re-route or *DROP* calls that are missing Caller ID details?  I would only want to do this for my particular directory number - or those that request it.

I get a dozen or so sales calls a day which I have grown accustomed to ignoring.  But then they punish me with three second or silent voicemails and it's driving me crazy.  I can't recall ever getting a legitimate call from a number where the CID is blocked so I am not worried about missing important calls!

Another idea is to send these calls to a call screening handler.  I am guessing most sale callers are going to hang up when they are asked to announce their name, etc.  But then again, I would only want to send Unknown Numbers there - not people I do business with.

Thanks for any ideas you may have,

-Steve Ballantyne

Forgot to mention - I am running CUCM 8.6.2!

5 Replies 5

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

can you please reveal more. What kind of signalling is used (MGCP, H.323, SIP)?

Also, is there anything else I can work with (UCCX perhaps)?

G.

Our phones are all SCCP with a small exception to some of the higher end video phones which are SIP only.  Our trunk uses "non secure" SIP (TCP and UDP).  I believe that I have seen H.323 configured somewhere?  Not sure where to look though to answer this question?

We do not use UCCX.  I have never even heard of it.  I had to look it up to see what it was.  :-)  It may be something that we buy in the future, but it would be for a call center - not for someone like me.

Hi,

UCCX would be perfect, but I admit, it would be an overkill for such  a "simple" task (I am a call center guy so I can imagine a UCCX script examining the call metadata and if the caller ID - ANI - is zero-length, then the call is dropped, probably with a "go away and never come back again" message).

About the signalling: well, your ITSP must deliver them calls to the CUCM somehow. H.323 is a beast, but again, it may give you scripting (Tcl, anyone?) capabilities. MGCP is an open tunnel, sending the calls to the CUCM.

On second thought, there's that CURRI API (Cisco Unified Routing Rules Interface (?)) which may send calls to an external server and the external server would decide whether to route or drop the call.

Do you have a spare server and a programmer handy?

G.

Well, you are leading me down the right track I think.

I found this blog post which seems interesting: http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/1221-cisco-cucm-blocking-calls-by-calling-party-number-id.html

But this would require that I put in a block for a "null" phone number.  From what I am reading in comments and other topics in this forum, that simply doesn't work.

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way.  I am ususually sitting here when these calls come in.  Sometimes I see an obvious sales call that I would drop ON THE SPOT if I was able to.  Is there any way to add a soft-button next to "Answer" which allows you to drop a call, or send it elsewhere?

That should work, null number means no number.

In anjy case for CM configuration you need to engage with a reputable consultant, or UC certfied Cisco Partner.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: