cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Sign-in strangeness

Jason Pennell
Level 4
Level 4

When a user presses * to sign-in to their voicemail box remotely (while not calling their extension or from someone else's voicemail box) they get unity saying "To leave a message for <the mailbox they were in when they pressed *> press 1". At this point we can sit there and it'll repeat 3 or 4 more times and then go into the appropriate mailbox that they are trying to log into, or you can press the # key and go directly into it. I seem to remember seeing this before and that it was a bug in Unity. Is anyone familiar with this behavior? Is there any way to correct it?

I have Unity 4.0.3 doing Unified messaging with Exchange 5.5.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is actually expected behavior - when you sign into your mailbox from the greeting of another subscriber (i.e. you called them, forwarded into Unity and then press * during their greeting) the first thing Unity asks is if you want to leave a message for the subscriber you were just calling. This leaves a subscriber to subscriber message for them instead of an external caller message.

Currently there's no way to turn this feature off - but that's expected behavior as designed. It could be one of those configurable things with some work - the best I can suggest is to ask your account team to add a PRERs request for this work to get done.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I think I found the bug I thought I saw in the past. Bug ID CSCed70324. I don't know if this is the exact problem in this case since we aren't using alternate extension to log in but it seems very very close. I found it from this other post.. http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.eeaa293/3

It looks like it is fixed if I install service release 1 for Unity 4.0.3 or in the 4.0.4 version. Can you confirm? Either way it's not a huge issue but it is enough to confuse users trying retreive their messages remotely by calling the corporate office toll free number and pressing * during the general mailbox greeting to log in and get their messages. If the user calls their own DID number from the outside and presses * then Unity does not add this additional prompt of "to leave a message for".

Thanks a lot for your help.

yes - if you're pressing * during the opening greeting then this isn't expected behavior (this wasn't clear from your first post). Yes, this was fixed in 4.0(3) ES61 which is included in SR1 and in 4.0(4).

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post.

Thanks again for all your replies and help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: