Level 1

Hello Guys

I'm going to replace my gateway 2921 which have:

• 1 VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1
  • 1 SIP Trunk Configuration
  • H.323
  • 2 PVDM3-32
  • 1 PVDM3-64

I have seen Cisco Routers Webpage and I saw the 4000ISR are still available but in my opinion they will have an EOL very soon because those ISR have long time from release date so I also saw some new 8200 Routers precisely C8200L-1N-4T called my attention becase I think is cheap if I compare with 8300 Routers but the problem is that it only have 1 slot NIM Modules so I have the following questions to know if someone could help me:

1) VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 would be replaced with NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 right? and I suppose this NIM has internally its own PVDM right? Because if 8200L only have 1 slot NIM it would be nonsese if I needed another slot for PVDM to do the NIM work.

2) Do you guys know if H.323 will work on 8200L? 

3) Any other recommendation to choose a new gateway?

3 Replies 3

I haven’t looked at any details on the new 82/8300 series, so a small disclaimer on that part.

On your questions, if this router model uses the same NIM cards as the ISR 4K then yes it has a PVDM slot. In fact the PVDM has to be placed there for TDM related use. With a SIP trunk connection to PSTN it’s of no concern where it is placed.

Yes it should support H.323. Based on your outline I’m going to venture on a guess that your setup is this, you run a SIP trunk to your service provider for PSTN services and you use H.323 for the connection to/from CM. If so the strongest recommendation would be to simplify this and migrate to SIP for the connection with CM. This is actually a very straightforward process to do. You need to create a SIP trunk in CM for the VGW, put that into the route group and then on the gateway set SIP as the protocol on the VoIP dial peer used for CM and allow sip to sip under the voice service. That’s all there is to it. Then after that you could add other non essential configuration items like SIP option ping, server groups, destination pattern groups and so on.

On your last question, going back to my disclaimer I don’t have any specific recommendation, other than to go with a 4K as they have not yet been announced as EOL, but as you say they might be so down the road.

Response Signature

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ISR 4K is still in sale.

Cisco First announce the EOS and from the EOS you will have another 5 years for EOL. You don't need to worry about ISR4K EOL for next five year. 

VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 would be replaced with NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 right? Yes Right.

I suppose this NIM has internally its own PVDM right? For T1/E1 connection you need the PVDM mounted on the NIM card. Mother board PVDM will not be shared for ISDN connection. 

Because if 8200L only have 1 slot NIM it would be nonsese if I needed another slot for PVDM to do the NIM work. There is a wide range of PVDM 4  available  from 32-256. if you are using 8 port NIM module you need a 256 PVDM which can be  served by pvdm4-256. So there is no need of adding additional PVDM. 

You need to move from H323 to SIP as @Jonathan Schulenberg mentioned its getting EOL.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: