Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing 911 out of local gateway instead of over PRI

dbraggs107
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I believe I need some help with local route groups and route lists. I'm having a problem where my 911 calls are being sent over my main PRI site instead of the local gateway.

I have about 20 sites that each have their own local gateways for SRST and are connected back to a central office that has the main PRIs. All calls come in and out of of this main location.

What I currently have setup is the following:

Standard Local Route List > Standard Local Route Group

I have Route Groups setup for each of the 20 locations called something similar to Local RG_XX which ONLY has my PRI gateway in each of the route groups.

On the device pools (around 20 for each location) I have each one assigned with my Local RG_XX and calls go out fine. The problem is when someone makes a 911 call the calls goes out the main PRI location instead of the local gateway.

What I want is any local, LD, or international call to go out the PRI and any emergency calls to go out the local gateway.

So for this do I need multiple Route Lists or can I keep the same RL and just have different RGs? Hopefully that makes sense.

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If everything is in the same PSAP then you can send all calls via the PRI circuit, the only issue might be the need for providing specific address, for which CER would be useful and do the job.

Chris

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to build another route group, and route list for each site and place the local gateway into this route group, then add 911 route pattern to site specific partition and point it to this newly create site specific route list. This way you bypass standard local route group routing for 911 calls and send those calls out of the local trunks.

HTH,

Chris

Is this something that could be accomplished with CER? Location based 911 without adding route lists and site specific 911 partitions. I'm trying to keep the complexity down as much as possible. Another way of putting it would CER be easier to implement and easier to manage down the road?

Dan

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CER allows you to comply with enhanced 911 laws and provide detailed location identification of where the call was made from, which is not what your question was about. If you need to send emergency calls out of your local site trunks you need to do what I suggested, the only other option would be to redesign your local route group routing but it would result in more complexity if you use central trunking for all other calls. What I suggested is not complex at all and normal configuration.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Chris, thanks for the help. They actually have CER so I'm just trying to find the best way to set everything up for them for 911 (so maybe with CER I should be sending it out the main site and just identify the building? Maybe this changes the question).

Going back to your original reply. I think the part I'm confused on is on the device pool itself where you have to set local route group. For example on all the device pools I have the local route group set to something like Local RG_XX

Based on the new configuration would I need to change local route group on each device pool to the new route groups or keep the old route groups on the device pools?

Let me post what I have it's really basic so there is probably a better way. With this config everything goes out the main site including 911 (needs to go out local FXO OR send calls out main site but somehow tag the location with CER? I've never setup CER so I'm not sure what it can do yet.)

I have a single route list called Standard Local RL which is set to use standard local route group.

Local RG_XX has only the main PRI gateway in each of the 20 route groups.

All phones are set with CSS_LD all extensions are in the PRT_INTERNAL partition. CSS_LD has access to everything except international etc.

9.011!                                   International                       PRT_INTL                         Standard Local RL

9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX            Long Distance                    PRT_LD                            Standard Local RL

9.911                                    Emergency                        PRT_EMERGENCY           Standard Local RL

9.[2-8]11                               Information                         PRT_INFO                         Standard Local RL

9.[2-9]XXXXXX                        Local                                 PRT_LOCAL                       Standard Local RL

911                                      Emergency                         PRT_EMERGENCY            Standard Local RL

PRT_EMERGENCY            Emergency Patterns

PRT_INBOUND                  Inbound Gateway CSS

PRT_INFO                         Informational Patterns

PRT_INTERNAL                 Internal Patterns

PRT_INTL                          International Patterns

PRT_LD                            Long Distance, Patterns

PRT_LOCAL                     Local Patterns

PRT_RESTRICTED           Restricted Patterns (900 numbers)

CSS_INBOUND           CSS for PRI Gateway

CSS_INTERNAL          CSS_INTERNAL

CSS_INTL                   CSS_INTL

CSS_LD                     CSS_LD

CSS_LOCAL              CSS_LOCAL

Hopefully I'm making sense here on this.

CER does not route the call to PSTN, it merely changes the caller ID. You still need to ensure you send the call out to local PSAP center, which would be impossible with PRI circuit if the locations are at different PSAPs.

Since you can have only one route group assigned to device pool and you need to route 911 calls differently from other calls you cannot rely on the standard local route group routing for these calls, so you need to build different route for each site such as:

911 Route pattern in SITE_Partition --> SITE_RL --> SITE_RG

then you need to ensure all phones at the site have site specific CSS with access to the SITE_Partition as well as other current routing partitions. If this is not the case there is no way you can route calls out of local trunks. If you send lets say Chicago user's 911 call out of NY PRI the call will go to NY PSAP and obviously they will not be able to help. The only way to use cetrelized trunking for 911 would be with SIP trunks that have e911 service on them.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris. What if my 20 buildings (sites) are all layer 2 connected by fiber and are all a few miles apart? They all have pots for FXO / SRST though. I'm checking now but I believe it's a single PSAP center for all the buildings. Assuming all 20 buildings use the same PSAP couldn't I just send 911 out the main PRI building and use CER for the address? For example site 18 calls 911, PSAP picks up and says "Are you calling from number xxx at building 18's address?" is that even possible even though the call egressed at building 10? Sorry if this is drifting more into CER questions than my original request.

Just confirmed that all 20 buildings use the same PSAP. Looking at some CER documentation now to see if this is even possible.

Edit: friend of mine just suggested caling the PSAP and telling them these numbers = match these addresses.

If everything is in the same PSAP then you can send all calls via the PRI circuit, the only issue might be the need for providing specific address, for which CER would be useful and do the job.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: