cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secretary needs to know when manager is on the line when a second call comes in

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

I hope someone can help me figure out a good solution for my problem.

A manager in our organization wants her secretary to answer her line if:

• she is already on a call when a second call comes in
  • if she is not in her office

The problem is, the secretary can't see the manager's office and doesn't know if she is in or on another call. I set up a busy lamp field / speed dial button for them, but the secretary said the only way she can tell if the manager is already on a call is to be looking at her phone when the second call comes in. If the secretary is filing papers when a second call comes in to the manager's phone, the BLF button doesn't show if she is already on the line.

The phones are 7975 and 7942 with CUCM 11.0.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lisa,

Just an add-on to the good idea from my friend Java (+5)

I would set the busy trigger on the manager DN to 1 and then set up a second new shared line on both phones and have the manager DN forward busy to the newly created DN. You could even set a distinctive ring on the newly created DN so the secretary doesn't need to be looking at her phone to determine a second call has come in while her manager is on line 1.

- So for example the manager has 7777 (shared on both phones)**change busy trigger to 1

- Create new second line DN 7712 - can be any number doesn't even need to be a DID (shared on both phones)

- Set Call forward busy on 7777 to go to 7712

- Set distinctive line ring on 7712

- Secretary will get a nice visual on 7712 as well as a special ring when a second call comes in for the manager when forward busy from 7777

This also allows the manager to feel very special.....which is always a good thing :)

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why don't you configure that as a shared line?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for your reply Jaime - I appreciate your assistance.

The manager's extension on the secretary's phone, but how can the secretary tell that the manager is already on the line when another call comes in? It is simple if the secretary is looking at the manager's line and sees a second incoming call, but what if she's not sitting at her desk when that happens?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lisa,

Just an add-on to the good idea from my friend Java (+5)

I would set the busy trigger on the manager DN to 1 and then set up a second new shared line on both phones and have the manager DN forward busy to the newly created DN. You could even set a distinctive ring on the newly created DN so the secretary doesn't need to be looking at her phone to determine a second call has come in while her manager is on line 1.

- So for example the manager has 7777 (shared on both phones)**change busy trigger to 1

- Create new second line DN 7712 - can be any number doesn't even need to be a DID (shared on both phones)

- Set Call forward busy on 7777 to go to 7712

- Set distinctive line ring on 7712

- Secretary will get a nice visual on 7712 as well as a special ring when a second call comes in for the manager when forward busy from 7777

This also allows the manager to feel very special.....which is always a good thing :)

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, Rob. You and Jaime are both extremely helpful to those of us in this support forum.

I tried your solution in my lab and it works perfectly. I'll offer it to the secretary and manager this afternoon - I'm sure they will be pleased.

Many thanks!

Lisa

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lisa,

You are always welcome my friend! Glad to be of some small help here.

Cheers!

Rob