Views
Helpful
Replies

Set DNS IP and Domain name for CUCM

Ren Stark
Level 1
Level 1

Friends,

I am in the process of migrating CUCM 9.1.2 cluster(3 nodes) from MCS to UCS. The CUCM 9.1 does not have DNS IP and domain name configured. I would like to add DNS IP and domain name before migrate and upgrade CUCM.

I know , adding DNS IP will not make any impact , but adding the domain name leads to node restarts automatically and regenerate CUCM certificates.

Does anyone came across this situation? Can I do the server migration without adding DNS IP and domain name?

Or during the upgrade install of CUCM, can I provide the DNS IP and Domain name? so I do not need another down time .. Please share your thoughts

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can perform the migration without DNS configured and then add it to the migrated system.

What if I configure DNS and domain name during the cucm migration? Will that lead to migration failure? 

I am assuming you are doing PCD migration?  If so, I believe you can enter DNS for the new destination cluster, so this should work.

Thanks Chris. What If I do DRS backup and restore? will that be an issue

DRS backup and restore requires that you install the new servers with the exact same IP address, hostname, DNS, etc. and you are running the exact same version of your application before you can restore.  For migrations to new hardware and new version I would suggest PCD or if the current environment is virtualized you can just move the virtual machines, change the specs for new application version requirements and then perform an inlace upgrade.   PCD allows you to also perform network migration where you can change the hostname/IP addresses during the migration process if that is what you desire.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: