Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP registration question

vitekabc1
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

Just picked up an existing  CUBE, system is running OK, I am new to CUBE.
Do you know what are these two lines for ?  "phcn.vic.gov.au" is our SIP Realm.CUBE SIP-UA setting, Voice Gateways

registrar dns:phcn.vic.gov.au expires 3600
sip-server dns:phcn.vic.gov.au

thanks .

voice service voip
address-hiding
mode border-element
allow-connections sip to sip
fax protocol t38 nse version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none
sip
asserted-id pai
outbound-proxy dns:sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com
asymmetric payload full
midcall-signaling passthru
privacy-policy passthru
sip-profiles 100

sip-ua
credentials username xx password xx realm phcn.vic.gov.au
authentication username xx  xx 
retry invite 2
retry response 3
retry bye 3
retry prack 6
retry register 2
timers expires 300000
connection-reuse
g729-annexb override

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"If we change the CUBE Ip address, it will auto register the new ip address to provider proxy."

Normally yes, most providers using authenticated trunks will use the address from which your gateway has registered.  It's possible that they have some additional control for example only allowing you to register from specific addresses. 

"I don't understand why "phcn.vic.gov.au" is used in "sip-server dns:phcn.vic.gov.au" ? Should it use sip-server dns: sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com ? I can resolve sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com to a valid ip address, but can't resolve phcn.vic.gov.au to a valid ip address, how does CUCE know what Ip address to make outgoing call ?"

That's the sip proxy function.   Your CUBE is configured to talk to a service called "phcn.vic.gov.au" but the configuration entry "outbound-proxy dns:sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com" tells it to actually send it's signalling to the proxy address.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The configurations in the "sip-ua" are used for authentication and registration of the IOS gateway.

• Used to register the gateway with phcn.vic.gov.au
sip-ua
 credentials username xxxxx password xxxxx realm phcn.vic.gov.au
!

• Used to authenticate with phcn.vic.gov.au for outbound calls
sip-ua
 authentication username xxxxx password xxxxx
! 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

vitekabc1
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks Vaijanath,

Can you pls clarify whether my understanding is correct ?

For Provider inbound call to our CUCE :

Our CUBE using following lines to register our SIP realm "phcn.vic.gov.au" with CUBE interface ip "1.2.3.4" to provider proxy server "sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com", thus provider can use ip "1.2.3.4" to call our SIP URI xxxx@phcn.vic.gov.au.

If we change the CUBE Ip address, it will auto register the new ip address to provider proxy.

--- configuration _

voice service voip

sip-ua

credentials username xxxxx password xxxxx realm phcn.vic.gov.au

------------

For Our CUBE outbound call to Provider:

I don't understand why "phcn.vic.gov.au" is used in "sip-server dns:phcn.vic.gov.au" ? Should it use sip-server dns: sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com ? I can resolve sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com to a valid ip address, but can't resolve phcn.vic.gov.au to a valid ip address, how does CUCE know what Ip address to make outgoing call ?

--- Configuration ---

dial-peer voice 60 voip

description ## outgoing tipt ##

destination-pattern .T

session target sip-server

voice service voip

sip-ua

authentication username xxxxx password xxxxx

-------

"If we change the CUBE Ip address, it will auto register the new ip address to provider proxy."

Normally yes, most providers using authenticated trunks will use the address from which your gateway has registered.  It's possible that they have some additional control for example only allowing you to register from specific addresses. 

"I don't understand why "phcn.vic.gov.au" is used in "sip-server dns:phcn.vic.gov.au" ? Should it use sip-server dns: sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com ? I can resolve sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com to a valid ip address, but can't resolve phcn.vic.gov.au to a valid ip address, how does CUCE know what Ip address to make outgoing call ?"

That's the sip proxy function.   Your CUBE is configured to talk to a service called "phcn.vic.gov.au" but the configuration entry "outbound-proxy dns:sbc-vic.nipt.telstra.com" tells it to actually send it's signalling to the proxy address.