Views
Helpful
Replies

Some users cannot leave voicemail

mlong0000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Unified Messaging 4.0 working with Exchange 2003. This is an off-box solution so mails are stored on exchange. However some users cannot leave voicemails. CUCM 6.1 is being used.

So, a user makes a call from their ip phone to another user with an ip phone. Both users are configured as Unity subscribers. Caller hears the greeting and leaves a voicemail. However, no mail appears in outlook, no mwi light on the phone.

I have run the permissions wizard and everything comes back successful.

Any ideas?

Michael

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

It sounds like someone may have modified the permissions on these accounts directly.

The Perms Wizard applies permissions to the mailbox stores, but it's possible that the accounts in question have permissions applied that override these.

If they can receive voicemails and play them back via the phones then Unity can read their mailbox.

When they send a voicemail, it will appear in the destination mailbox as if they have sent the mail, though Unity will really have sent it. I would look at the permissions in AD for any Deny ones in Mailbox Rights on the Exchange Advanced tab of the user account.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

This is stating that we don't have send as permissions for the user.

Can you confirm that in AD Users and Computers, click View>Advanced menu

then find a user that's having the problem sending messages. Go to the

"security" tab and make sure that the UnityMsgStoreSvc account is

present in the list of accounts acting on this subscriber? UnityDirSvc

should be present there too. If it is, make sure the UnityMsgStoreSvc

indeed has "send as" permissions on this user. Also, like mentioned

prior, make sure that the actual storage group where this user's mailbox

exists in Exchange System Manager has the proper permissions set; send

as, receive as, view information store, administer information store.

Hope that helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Are you saying that these affected users cannot leave voicemail for any other users?

Can they receive voicemail from external callers?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

yes, these users cannot leave voicemail to other users. However they can receive voicemail themselves without issue

Hi

It sounds like someone may have modified the permissions on these accounts directly.

The Perms Wizard applies permissions to the mailbox stores, but it's possible that the accounts in question have permissions applied that override these.

If they can receive voicemails and play them back via the phones then Unity can read their mailbox.

When they send a voicemail, it will appear in the destination mailbox as if they have sent the mail, though Unity will really have sent it. I would look at the permissions in AD for any Deny ones in Mailbox Rights on the Exchange Advanced tab of the user account.

Regards

Aaron

Great, thanks. I'll run through the users permissions now.

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would also just double check the UnityMTA folder when you try and leave a voice mail for these users to see if they're being stored locally on Unity.  You should also see some application log warnings/errors when you try to leave messages for these users that will possibly help lead you in the right direction.  Like it was stated, chances are Unity doesn't have "send as" permissions for these users anymore.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Hi Brad

yeah there are files being dumped in the unityMTA folder. There are also a heap of emails being sent to the Undelivered Messages account

I would check the application log and see what any errors are saying

about these users.

I had a look at 2 users permissions in AD. 1 user has the problem and the other doesn't. Both have the same permissions.

I ran port status monitor while doing a test call and saw the following

Taking message for Subscriber:  Curran, Jonathan
Event is [RecordMsgEvent]
State - Record Message
Event is [TT3Event]
State - d:\commserver\localize\scripts\submsgplay.cde!CheckUseDelItmFldr
Event is [FalseEvent]
State - d:\commserver\localize\scripts\submsgplay.cde!MsgDelConfirmCheck
Event is [FalseEvent]
State - d:\commserver\localize\scripts\submsgplay.cde!DeleteMsgWithoutConfirm
Event is [TrueEvent]
State - d:\commserver\localize\scripts\submsgplay.cde!NotifyMsgMoved
Event NULL
State - d:\commserver\localize\scripts\submsgplay.cde!MsgDeleted

In this case the voicemail never got to the recipient.

In the application log I see the following for the same time

IAvDohMessage::Submit returned [0x800404dc] on line 859 of file e:\Views\cs_CU4.0.4.221\un_Core2\ConversationEng\AvStateSvr\AvSMsgSend.cpp

I looked up this error message and it says check permissions, which I did and also to re-run the Message Store Configuration Wizard which I did last night. Hasn't worked though

Hi

Can you verify whether the users affected are in the same voicemail store?

And whether there are users in the same voicemail store as a problem user that are working correctly?

Thanks

Aaron

This is stating that we don't have send as permissions for the user.

Can you confirm that in AD Users and Computers, click View>Advanced menu

then find a user that's having the problem sending messages. Go to the

"security" tab and make sure that the UnityMsgStoreSvc account is

present in the list of accounts acting on this subscriber? UnityDirSvc

should be present there too. If it is, make sure the UnityMsgStoreSvc

indeed has "send as" permissions on this user. Also, like mentioned

prior, make sure that the actual storage group where this user's mailbox

exists in Exchange System Manager has the proper permissions set; send

as, receive as, view information store, administer information store.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Hi

well that worked. Permissions was needed on 1 of the storage groups and also a few ticks needed on the users. Thanks for all the help.

Michael

Great, glad it worked out.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: