cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscriber Database without LDAP integration

tlabate
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a customer that uses a 5 digit extension in CUCM as the local user ID and in CUC uses initials as the user ID. Will CPM support this without having to force the customer to implement LDAP. Can CPM populate its subscriber database with UserIDs directly from CUCM?

P.S. I know that LDAP would make it better for both the administrator as well as the end-user.

Thanks, -Todd

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Gerbic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Todd,

PC Provisioning requires a unique userID for each user in the provisioning system. We have some customers that, due to the churn in employees, use sequence numbers or site name plus cube number as the userID.  The catch is that I think it will be hard to show all of a users services together in the user record if the user has two differnet userIDs. I think the phone, line, EM, SNR, etc would show up in one user record under the 5-digit userID while the voicemail would show up on a shared line in another user record. While this is managable it is not an optimal way to display and manage a users services, with our without a management system.

I would suggest migrating to using initials for all userIDs though this would have to be a small network to avoid overlaps. A mix of real user names and location oriented userIDs for openspace phones would make the management of devices significantly simpler. I suspect the customer got into this mode of managment due to difficulty in managing phones without real userIDs in CM forcing the use of extensions as userIDs. These problems can be avoided when using PC Provisioning.

ps. the product name is actually Prime Collaboration Provisioning (PCP).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Anthony Gerbic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Todd,

PC Provisioning requires a unique userID for each user in the provisioning system. We have some customers that, due to the churn in employees, use sequence numbers or site name plus cube number as the userID.  The catch is that I think it will be hard to show all of a users services together in the user record if the user has two differnet userIDs. I think the phone, line, EM, SNR, etc would show up in one user record under the 5-digit userID while the voicemail would show up on a shared line in another user record. While this is managable it is not an optimal way to display and manage a users services, with our without a management system.

I would suggest migrating to using initials for all userIDs though this would have to be a small network to avoid overlaps. A mix of real user names and location oriented userIDs for openspace phones would make the management of devices significantly simpler. I suspect the customer got into this mode of managment due to difficulty in managing phones without real userIDs in CM forcing the use of extensions as userIDs. These problems can be avoided when using PC Provisioning.

ps. the product name is actually Prime Collaboration Provisioning (PCP).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: