cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscribers and voicemail ports ratio

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know what the recommended ratio for subscribers and voice mail ports? is there any link or document for that? Thanks

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on CallHandlers also.. but 1:10 ratio is heavy. 1:20 is better. Also take into consideration if it's a VM only system or UM. VM will be heavier. UM, end users will listen to their VMs over Outlook (cutting down the port usage then)

UM - VMO takes a port on the Unity still to check messages.

It is a TRaP connection.

Randy

that is if you have Outlook dial your IP phone. If the person listens to the voicemail through their speakers, the it does not use any ports. it's a just wav file being played.

tommer, you are correct about that but there is no control over which playback device they choose. I personally think that most people choose phone over speckers cause they do not want other listening.

Unless they have an office.

Just my .02

Randy

I typically just match what they had before. If they had 32 ports of voicemail on their old legacy system, then i will make sure that is what they had before. Make it easier for planning purposes. Where it gets hairy is the bandwidth needed for calculating Call admissions control over the WAN and a centralized Unity server. You may have 25 sites, each with 50 users, x call handlers, x. Then you not only have to worry about ports, but now you have to calculate bandwidth to support voicemail!

fun stuff!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: