Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions for bare metal server for home lab

rnnltn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

I need help and suggestions on what should I buy for my small Collab home lab.

I would appreciate if you can recommend any specs for the server like cpu, cores, ram, hdd to run applications like cucm, cuc, imp, and uccx. This will be just for my small home learning lab.

Please let me know if there are already posts like this or I am on a wrong section. I am just new on the community.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot run any of those apps on baremetal, they all need to run over ESXi.

Might want to spend some time going through all the info from this site, everything anyone needs to know about Cisco UC virtualization is there, and you'll find the specs required by each product and virtual machine size, so you can properly size what you need.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/cisco-collaboration-virtualization.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

initial days I was using dell poweredge with VMware 6.0. it took  30-40 mins for virtual machines to come up, so  normally after turning the server and applications ON I go for a coffee. now i use  UCS 220 M4. 

your budget matters. if you spend more you can have a high performance server.:)

Response Signature

faswaaawa01367
Level 1
Level 1

WGcheck issues some reports which are not very clean to decipher as you can see. I would possibly certainly send one over to WoT. I believe they are clearly meant to be despatched to some WoT dept.

you need at minimum hard 8 core CPU 1TB HDD 32G ram for your lab environment

It's better 48G ram as uc 220m5 Cisco servers will be great

BR