cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Pub and Sub for CallManager 12.0

hudsonp17
Level 1
Level 1

In CUOS Admin. If I go to Settings>IP>Publisher, then change the hostname and IP to my current Sub, will that actually change my current Sub, to the Pub?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

what I'm saying is their has to be a way to promote the Sub to Pub

NO, there is NO way

Again, you choose the role of a server upon install, and it will remain a PUB or a SUB for its entire life, no promoting, no switching, no changing, etc.

If your scenario happens, you install a new server and DRS to recover your PUB.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The role of a server is only an option during install, there is no way to swap roles once you have installed a server.

You cannot turn a PUB into a SUB, OR a SUB into a PUB.

HTH

java

So if I were to shut down the Pub. Change the aforementioned setting on the Sub so it says it is the Pub, then build a new Sub. Would that work? Or do I need to rebuild both servers?

OK, it seems you're not familiar with Cisco UC. A cluster can only have ONE publisher, it is the first server that is installed, and it will be the publisher as long as that cluster is in service. Any subsequent server will be a SUB (for as long as the cluster works), and it/they will replicate from the PUB.

One PUB = one cluster

I would strongly suggest you read this chapter from the SRND

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab12/collab12/callpros.html

HTH

java

I know that, what I'm saying is their has to be a way to promote the Sub to Pub. What would happen if the Pub failed? Sub would take over as primary, but then you would need to build a new server. Since the old Pub is dead, wouldn't the previous Sub not become the Pub?

what I'm saying is their has to be a way to promote the Sub to Pub

NO, there is NO way

Again, you choose the role of a server upon install, and it will remain a PUB or a SUB for its entire life, no promoting, no switching, no changing, etc.

If your scenario happens, you install a new server and DRS to recover your PUB.

HTH

java

Do you know if the Publisher role is tied to the IP on the server itself?

No, IP has nothing to do with the server role.

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: