cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP from SRST Router for Phone Load Only

rlaplante
Level 1
Level 1

We have a centralized CallManager Cluster (4.1.3 upgrading to 5.1.2 soon)

Is it technically possible (albeit not likely supported )to have the phone load hosted by the TFTP services of an SRST router. The phone config files would still reside on the servers. The goal is simply allow the phone to receive it?s upgrade from a distributed (local to the phone) source.

My understanding of the TFTP process is that when the phone boots it looks to the configured primary TFTP source for it?s configuration file and if it is not found will go to the secondary.

One con of this is that with only two tftp servers there would be no redundant (tertiary) tftp source for the phone config files.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

That should work, we have different possibilities in here.

The one you are interested:

IP Phone phone load upgrade.

"My understanding of the TFTP process is that when the phone boots it looks to the configured primary TFTP source for it?s configuration file and if it is not found will go to the secondary. "

Correct

As you said...this is not supported but technically possible

I would change the phone load in CCM (.cnf.xml file will update)

Disable caching in TFTP Advanced Service Parameters...

Then copy the .cnf file to the SRST router and also the the new phone load files.

For this IP Phones in the DHCP range youc an use option 150 being the local Router they will upgrade just fine and register to the correct CCM.

Let us know.

Hello,

I am very interested in a procedure to upgrade phone located on remotes sites with few bandwidth by serving loads directly from the local SRST router flash. Could you please detail your proposed strategy a little more?

Thanks in advance,

Not sure why I missed your reply and expressing my thanks. So Thank you.

I would however like to leave the phone .cnf file on the call manager. So here is my concept.

Via DHCP option 150 point the first tftp server to the local router and the secondary/tertiary to the call manager servers. The phone boots and looks to the srst for its config file, fails and looks to the callmanager servers. Once it downloads the config file and know that it need to update, reboots, looks again to the srst router and finds the phone image to proceed with the upgrade. The phone reboots after the upgrade and goes though the process skipping the upgrade until I change the phone config again.

This should provide me the central management of the phone configs and only have the phone image local. We have some offices with 100+ phones and during an upgrade would off load the image update process.