cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer DLUs to 8.5 via 3x3 Upgrade program

tollom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a partner that is in a competitive situation and is looking for guidance on how to propose a 8.5 solution by transfering unused DLUs and reusing an existing 7825 server.  Below is the scenario they are facing.  Thanks for any guidance.

We have a client who is currently running 7.1 CM Enterprise.  They are opening another chain of stores and are pricing out another CM Enterprise solution, this time 8.5.  They have an extra MCS-7825 that we will be reusing.  Additionally, they have 2510 unused DLUs.  Can we transfer these unused DLUs to the new 8.5 system under the 3x3 upgrade program? 

11 Replies 11

naim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

I am guessing that the question is as to whether the unused DLU's can be migrated via the 3x3 program.

The answer is yes, please convert the existing DLU's to UCL users and purcahse 3x3 MIgration users for them.

Hakim

Hakim

Doesn't that conflict with this response from Brett?

https://communities.cisco.com/message/58524#58524

The DLU are perpetual licenses and therefore the customer has rights to use them on another cluster - in this case a UCL cluster.  So, it is ok to migrate them to the new cluster and use to admin endpoints, remote destinations, etc.  Going forward new licenses will be purchased as UCL (or CUWL) on that same cluster.

It mentions here one can use spare DLU without conversion. It only mentions going forward to add users

Srini

naim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Srini,

I don't know as to how one can use them in UCL world witout converting them ?

How do you buy ESW or UCSS etc on them .. or maybe there is a subtle point here I am missing ?

Hakim

I agree however as per that email rights to those DLU are perpetual, the same question was asked on how that would be tied to users and it wasn't clarified, as you very well know today the software isn't user aware so phones will continue to consume dlu whether it is ucl or not..please clarify if I haven't interpreted that post correctly.

Thanks

Srini

naim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rights to those DLU's indeed are perpetual, my email was in reference to applying those DLU's when you upgrade.The rights to use those DLU's in the upgraded version. By coverting the into UCL users through the migration program it allows you to administer those DLUs ( as they upgrade with rest of the stuff)

Hakim

Hakim

Even on the point of administering that post mentions you can use it for end points, doesn't it? If so then it needs to be corrected is the point I am driving at.

Thanks

Srini

naim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Srini,

If anyone intends to use (administer) the DLU's in the upgraded version, they need convert them to UCL users.

Hakim

Thanks. On a side note I would appreciate correction to the OG on converting CUE to Unity licenses. Currently the OG makes no mention that these have to be relicensed since there is no conversion path. Here is the thread

https://communities.cisco.com/message/62525#62525

Finally there is another thread that hasn't been answered for a while on BE Uconn to regular Uconn, any thoughts on both of these?

https://communities.cisco.com/message/63449#63449

Srini

Hi Hakim,

Just want to find out more, how do I actually convert the unused DLUs to UCL using 3x3 Upgrade Program?

Since the UCL is User Based, so should I assume every 4 DLUs equal to 1 Enhanced UCL?

Would be grateful if you can kindly advice on the unused DLUs to UCL convertion.

Cheers,

Peter Ng

Your assumption is correct. Hope the following table helps:

HakimUCL+DLUs.jpg

Hi Hakim,

Thanks! The table is very helpful.

Just wondering, is there any "official document" on the spares DULs conversion to UCL? In case need to prove to the customer.

Cheers,

Peter Ng