cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transformation Patterns, Translation Patterns, and Route Patterns

aaron-saz
Level 1
Level 1

As I circle the wagons (again.:) on Call routing I am wondering if someone can give me another angle explaining the order of operation with Routing calls and digit manipulation.  I’m getting turned around trying to get a solid understanding with Transformation Patterns, Translation Patterns, and Route Patterns.

I understand digit manipulation, but am getting bogged down with the specifics on the order of when these configurations take affect as a call is processed thru CUCM.  Bottom line is, what I’ve read so far hasn’t given me that solid “AH HAAAA” moment and was wondering if someone would have a few moments for a quick run thru on how they approach this.  I’m sure this can get way more complicated than I’m making this out to be.  Just a real basic starting point (Foundation in cement) would be nice..;)

What I’ve come to understand.  Hopefully more right than wrong..;)

Config:

- CUCM 10+

- Cisco 2801 VG out to Telcom

————

Office phone makes call 

-> Hits CUCM 

-> CUCM checks Route Patterns 

-> If Translation Pattern matches do appropriate digit manipulation

-> Check Route Pattern - REPEAT digit manipulation Translation Pattern -> Route Pattern appropriately

-> Send call to GateWay/Route List.  Per route pattern config

-> Check Transformation patterns  —  Here’s is where I’m confuse (as of now).  I don’t understand where in the order of operation this is this looked at?   Is it looked at right before the call leaves the CM to the VG, and is a last set of Digit manipulation?  From what I’ve read the Transformation Pattern is used to route calls to Telco or another Cluster.  But the only place to configure to send to a VG is in the Route Pattern.

thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not really you could hit ANYTHING in CUCM which is a DN or pattern. As always, CSS and partitions will determine what you can reach.

-> CUCM checks (based on CSS) the dial plan, finds best match

If you happen to hit a TP, then you'd use the CSS from the TP to try to route the new called number and whatever matches it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Georgios Fotiadis
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all, beware that all matching is done as long as PTs/CSSs allow it.

So, translation patterns are matched first and then the call is forwarded to potential route-patterns.

Transformations can, basically, take place at:

a) Route patterns

b) Route Lists/Route Groups

c) Egress Gateways

Priority takes place from (c) to (a), meaning that is you have a transformation pattern at (c) it overrides (b) and (a).

The SRND explains all these very well.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

Thank you for the quick reply...  Very helpful...  that's what I was looking for...  Something very basic, and adding in the PT/CSS was something in the back of my mind but didn't want to start with multiple questions.. 

Also the Egress Gateway..  I'm assuming when you say C will override both A and B in your example you're talking about Voice Translation-rule and Voice Tranaslation-profile sections of the EGress VG Config?  Am I assuming correctly?

thanx again 

All my notes were referring to CUCM configuration. When saying egress GW I meant the Called/Calling Party Transformation CSS at gateway/trunk configuration page (at CUCM).

What you are referring to is at VG (ISR) level. Transformations at the VG will take place (or not) depending on if the number is matched after it had gone through the before-mentioned transformations.

Georgios

No, that is not correct, CUCM doesn't consider TPs before RPs, CUCM uses the best match algorithm to choose where to route, if you have a TP 4xxx and a RP 45XX and dial 4500, you will hit the RP.

HTH

java

Yes, forget to mention that; longest match always wins. Good point Jaime.

What I was trying to point out is that you can first have some transformations done on TP level and then direct your call to the route-patterns.

Georgios

Thanx Jamie, so there really isn’t an “order” in broad terms from what my initial question was leaning towards (I think where I was confused).

Would this be a correct general flow using my example above? And again per what Georgios mentioned this being in the SRND, I’m just trying to “rubber ducky” this…;) for a better understanding.

Office phone makes call to Telcom:
-> Hits CUCM
-> CUCM checks Route Patterns finds best match
——> IF the Best match is a Translation Pattern appropriate digit manipulation
——> Check Route Pattern - REPEAT Find best match IF again Translation Pattern perform same steps
-> IF the best match is Route Pattern use that config
——> IF inside Route Pattern there is a Transformation Pattern, Perform that and send to appropriate Gateway / Route List
-> IF there is a translation-pattern in the VG perform that and send it on it’s way

Not really you could hit ANYTHING in CUCM which is a DN or pattern. As always, CSS and partitions will determine what you can reach.

-> CUCM checks (based on CSS) the dial plan, finds best match

If you happen to hit a TP, then you'd use the CSS from the TP to try to route the new called number and whatever matches it.

HTH

java

thank you..

Aritra1989
Level 1
Level 1

I have one more question regarding this-

cosider - if the css has 2 PT in the following order

PT1- 4XXX
PT2- 45XX
now considering both are RP , if someone dial 4500 what it would match?

Last one in your list. The routing process in CM always looks at best match first and if there is an equal good match the order of PTs in the CSS is the tie breaker.

Response Signature

As stated before it's always BEST MATCH ROUTING, the order of the partitions in a CSS is ONLY RELEVANT if equally good matches are found on 2+ partitions. Answer doesn't change because they're both RPs, once again, it DOES NOT matter where the DN or pattern is (RP, TP, DN, etc) .

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: