cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble creating custom ciscojabbersetup.msi

Lee Pipkin
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco jabber docs say I can use orca and edit the MSI which I can however, On install of the client it does not honor those edits.   I've done many of these for other apps but no luck with this one.  the JabberBootstrap: Action has a target of "PresenceServerType: [TYPE]" "PresenceServer: [ADDRESS]"  and so on.  What is the correct syntax that I should be using?   I have tried with and without the [ ] and still no luck.  Installs fine but at the end it asks for the server type and login server info.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks

13 Replies 13

Jasmeet Sandhu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Lee,

Below is an example for ciscojabbesetup.msi deployment:

- The contents of the 'jabber-bootstrap.properties' file are as follows:

PresenceServerType: CUP

PresenceServer:

PresenceDomain:

UseLanguageID: 1033

Example

PresenceServerType: CUP

PresenceServer: 1.2.3.4

PresenceDomain: domain.com

UseLanguageID: 1033

Let me know if that helps clarify.

Regards,

Jas

Thanks for the reply Jas.  What we are trying to do is package the MSI to contain our config information as you mentioned in your reply.  We want them to go to our site download the MSI and install it without having to know the config info.  Largely decentralized users.   The issue that I am seeing is when I add the correct config info in the "CustomAction" table inside the MSI file and then save it via ORCA, the info I inserted into the "Target"  are ignored when the MSI is executed on a machine.  So as for syntax within the "Target" what should that look like? 

From within the MSI:  "PresenceServerType: [TYPE]" "PresenceServer: [ADDDRESS]" "PresenceDomain: [DOMAIN]" "UserLanguageID: [LANGUAGE]"...... and so on....

Should the syntax be with the [ brackets ]  or without?  or with and quotes around the text or #s? or with brackets and quotes. ex. 

"PresenceServerType: [CUP]"   or  "PresenceServerType: "CUP""  "PresenceServerType: ["CUP"]"

I have tried them all and still no luck..  

Josh Miller
Level 1
Level 1

/bump for help

Lee, did you end up finding a resolution?

Hi Josh,

I did not with that version of the MSI.  With the latest release.  I have had success with it.  I've been out of the office for a couple of week and I hope to perform more testing with it this week.  So far though it looks like everything is working like it should with the new release.

Haroula

I have found that its best to use the method in the Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.1.x Installation and Configuration Guide  pg 69.  applying the MST has worked well for me for the last few revisions.   I did notice today that when using that method for 9.1.4 and saving it within orca made the MSI file almost twice its orginal size to 78,464kb.  

Not sure why it did that.

But to answer your question i did not put brackets and "   I only used " (quotes)   for example:  "PresenceServerType: CUP"  PresenceServer: xxx.x.xxx.xxx"..........

Hope that helps!

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response.

Ive tried that but its still not specifying the server.

these are my settings

Haroula,

Are you definitely using Single Sign on?  If not drop that line pluse the TFTP and Forgot password lines.   Check the jabber-config.xml make sure you have all the correct settings as well.  You can see if the local machine you are trying to login on already has one by looking here:  C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\jabber-config.xmljabber-config.xml

Also check your jabber-bootstrap.properties file thats here:  C:\ProgramData\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-bootstrap.properties

Hi Lee,

Its working now but now the group policy doesn't install it. It says its applied the Jabber group policy but doesn't actually install it on the PC's

Hi Lee,

Ive entered all the settings but seems like it is still ignoring the settings

Hi Lee,

Im having the same issue.

DId you put in the brackets and " ?

AmbryTodd
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to edit the .msi on the latest version 9.1.0 and i transformed the mst and tried to save got an error saying it couldnt do all the fields. tried a different MSI editor got it to save and saw the changes. tried to install and still get the popup for server and type.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

AmbryTodd
Level 1
Level 1

I have a different problem. I enter the info and when I try to save it out this is what happens.

I am not sure why. I had this problem before and just gave up on it. But I got the notification earlier today to this thread and thought I would give it a go on 9.1.4. Same problem.

Todd,

I got that same message.  I dropped all those lines in the .MST that I was not using like SSO etc...    I have found out that it does still work after that message as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: