Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC SME for multi-site inter-cluster connection

Our UC design is multi-site distributed call processing model with several UC luster spread in different countries. Each of those clusters serves several neighbooring countries which are connected to the PSTN through their local gateway. Each cluster is linked internally to other clusters through ICT trunks to route internal calls through the network.

As clusters keep groing through M&A this model is not really viable anymore. Inter-cluster trunks are growing exponentials and integration of new clusters to our environment is slowed down.

We would like to keep each cluster independant but get them interconnected by connecting each of them to a central gateway/router type of server. Just 1 trunk per cluster to the central sytem and no more multiplied inter-cluster trunk.

Looking at Cisco products UC SME sounds like a solution but on all the designs I can see, the PSTN access is then centralized to the UC SME cluster which we don't want to do. We want each office to keep it's local PSTN access ; the centralized system being only for internal call. Is it possible with SME or not ?

The other thing I'm concerned about is that it seems that UC SME is a "stateful" technology, so the entire call goes through the SME, not just the call the setup traffic but the actual data. This would mean that if we have a UC cluster in Japan and on in Australia, connected through a centralized SME in the US, the entire call would go all the way to the US from Japan to Australia instead of going direct through the MPLS. Is that correct ?

It sounds like we should be able to achieve what we want by just setting-up a centralized CUCM cluster, build trunk betwwen leaf clusters to the centralized cluster in a star design and with proper routing on the central cluster achieve the above goals.

If that is the case I'm wondering what is the added value of SME ?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

anis_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Matthieu,

I am also in stage of deploying Cisco SME with same scenario as you have & have almost same doubts you asked in above post. Its my first deployment of Cisco SME.

Did you get the answers of your questions ? Can you share answers please ?

I am more concerned about Dial Plan Design ?
how did you design your dial-plan to call between countries over WAN ?
Your feedback would be very helpful for me to deploy SME.

Regards,

No I never got an answer.

About dial plan, we use 4 digits prefix + last four digits extension.

The first 2 digits of the prefix are geo code. Each cluster owning a geo code. and the next 2 digits of the prefix are the country code within that geo.

Hope this helps.

Thanx Matthieu,

I have few doubts to discuss with you.

Do you think configuring dial-plans with complete digits would be better instead of making prefix+extension combination ? e.g. if a user A generally dials +123456789 number to call remote office, let him dial the same number & configure WAN/PSTN redundancy in SME (with WAN high priority). If WAN will available call will go through WAN if its not available it will route to PSTN. In this way, we dont need to inform end users that for remote offic X use prefix AA and for remote offic Y use prefix BB.

Above is a thought only & it could be wrong. I am planning to design dial-pan with above approach. I will be very good if you can share your thoughts on it, positive or negative.

Few more Questions:

How did you define your bandwidth over the WAN? what codecs you use?
Did you deploy QoS for voip?
What WAN cloud do you have in your environment, MPLS, FR, Leased Line ?
Whats the bandwidth you have over the WAN ?
Can we add different versions of CUCM Cluster into SME ?
Which trunk type did you use in your network ? SIP, H.323, Inter-cluster Trunk ?

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: