cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Refresh Upgrade switch version at a later time (week later) question...

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We are planning an upgrade of UCCX from 9.X to 10.6 but are having issues with our CUWP licensing entitlement....I am working with TAC on that issue but I didn't know if I could proceed with my upgrade but not swtich version on the nodes...I have performed serveral upgrades in the past and have always completed in one maintenance window.  Is there any reason I can't do this one on both nodes but leave them on the 9.X until I have proper license then simply do the switch version?  This seems like a stupid question on my part but I would just like some reassurance.

Thanks,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By the time you perform the SV, there should be 10.x license file present on the system. Without 10.x license file SV will go through but the CCX Engine and other components will not come up after the SV if the 10.x license is missing and hence the system will be of no use. Therefore, your best shot is to get the licensing thing sort out and only then perform the SV, you can install the upgrade file on both the servers in the meantime though.

Regards

Deepak

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joe,

I have also never come across such situation but I was referring the upgrade link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_10_6/install/guide/UCCX_BK_C2956BDB_00_uccx-install-upgrade-guide-106/UCCX_BK_C2956BDB_00_cisco-unified-contact-center-express_appendix_0111.html#UCCX_TK_U785CC17_00

License Grace Period

If your License MAC becomes invalid, request a new license. The system continues to operate for 30 days without a new license. After the 30-day grace period ends, the system shuts down until you upload a new license using the updated License MAC. After you obtain rehosted licenses, upload them using the Add License page of the Unified CCX Administration web interface.

In your case, License MAC won't change but u need to have the upgrade license which I suppose you would get 30 days grace period during which u can get license through Cisco unified Workspace for Partners.[CUWP]

regds,

aman

I am not sure that UCCX gives the grace period on an upgrade, I am almost positive that you are required to provide a license file upon the initial boot of an upgraded version, am I wrong on this?

Just ask for a 60 temp license for CCX, install it, and do your switch version. As long as you're confident the licensing situation will be solved before then you should be fine.

One word of caution is to delete the temp license and reboot the cluster before it expires. I have seen more than one CCX cluster not figure out that the permanent licenses installed are sufficient once the temp license expires. When it fails to realize that it stops services. I just always delete and reboot out of an abundance of caution to ensure license manager has no excuse for being confused.

We were able to resolve our entitlement issue and received a license prior to the upgrade. As I suspected and Deepak confirmed the license needs to be available upon the switch-version. 

Thanks to all for your input. 

Joe, please remember to mark the thread as Answered if there are no further questions on the topic so that it can help others in the community as well with same issue.

Regards

Deepak

This can considered resolved, although the original question as about doing the actual SV at a later date (say a week later). I don't believe that was really addressed. 

Joe,

"You can install the upgrade file on both the servers in the meantime though." was only written from the perspective that SV can be done at a later stage as well and does not require to be done immediately after upgrading to 10.x.

Hope it clarifies the situation now.

Regards

Deepak

Hi,

If i want to upgrade from uccx 8.5.1 to 11.5.1 and if jump first from 8.5.1 to  10.6.1 do i need to have license of 10.6 or i just need to have license of 11.5?

Regards, 

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By the time you perform the SV, there should be 10.x license file present on the system. Without 10.x license file SV will go through but the CCX Engine and other components will not come up after the SV if the 10.x license is missing and hence the system will be of no use. Therefore, your best shot is to get the licensing thing sort out and only then perform the SV, you can install the upgrade file on both the servers in the meantime though.

Regards

Deepak