cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCL Licensing - user with more than one phone

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Came across this the other day, a CUCM installation using UCL licensing showing licence violation.  The cause was two phones with the same owner ID, as a result it was looking for at least an Enhanced Plus licence.  I am fairly sure I've seen it simply assigning two Enhanced (or logically I guess it could be Basic or Enhanced depending on phone model).  Am I misremembering?  The only clusters I can experiment on have CUWL licences installed so I can't simulate the scenario.

2 Replies 2

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
CUCM will usually only borrow up, so if you have 100 CUWL, but only require 100 enhanced, all the CUWL will be used.

It does not work in reverse. If you have 1000 enhanced and assign 10 devices to 100 users, its only going to allow 100 CUWL, and not use the lower tiers.

Understood about not borrowing from lower tiers, that almost self evident.  But it still seems illogical that in this example you can't use two Enhanced licences to cover two phones with the same owner, but it's OK if they have different owners.  By contrast CUWL Standard allows 10 phones with the same owner, but if will assign multiple licences if needed.  For example if one user has 11 devices it will assign two CUWL Standard to that one user.

Of course as far as I'm aware the owner ID is only significant for licensing, it doesn't seem to affect controlled devices or anything, so I can't see any no disadvantage to setting one or more to Anonymous if that fixes the licence issue.