Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to register 7940s, 7960s & 7925G on CUCM 14 SU1

desmobrains
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We migrating from CUCM 11.5 SU5 to CUCM 14 SU1 and at the moment we are testing the registration of all the different phone models we do have. 

Registration worked for most of them, but we struggle with the subject ones.

I am activating the alternate TFTP and once I am configuring the new TFTP server I get the message "TFTP not in the CTL".

According to this article registration should not be a problem.

We followed those instructions as well.

Actions taken so far:

1. Delete the CTL
  2. Reset the phones to factory defaults

Any ideas what could be wrong?

11 Replies 11

Use bulk certificate certificate management option.

If phones are not registering Even after you removed the security setting,also  check the firmware phone and see  firmware version which comes with cucm 14. If there is an intermediate version you need to upgrade the phone firmware before migrating.

if you remove the phone security setting, it should have any issue with its/Ctl.

Response Signature

gfolens
Level 4
Level 4

Just verified: the firmware version for the 7940 and 7960 phones is the latest one: P0030801SR02 and is the same version as on the v11 CUCM. These phones do not use a secure profile. One the phone debug web interface we see: 2022-03-17 14:27:35.490 Code:8103, P:0, S:12310800.

The Status web page only shows this: SEP000FF7C0316C.cnf.xml.sgn

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

It's worth checking that the phones are actually running that version, not just checking that they are configured to use it.  I had an install where the customer's 7960s were actually running something so old that they wouldn't take the configured load.  We had to force them through an intermediate version.

gfolens
Level 4
Level 4

I've checked the actual version and it is the latest version: P0030801SR02.

I had a Tac case open but they close it because no support for these old phone types.

I also was not able to find the old firmware versions to try them on the new v14 CUCM.

As soon as I clear the alternate TFTP the phone registers back to the v11 CUCM...

Sounds like a security by default issue. Have you tested to clear the ITL on the devices?

If I understand your initial post correctly the phones still registers to the old CM v11 even after a factory reset. That would indicate that the option 150 that the device gets from the DHCP server is pointing to the IP of the CM v11 and not to the CM v14. If it does then the device will again pickup the ITL from the old CM and your back to where you begun.

Response Signature

simon hester
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone get this working for a 7960. I have the same issue with a number of these older phones that the customer does not want to give up. 

Phone works on the current 11.5 but if I try the phone on a CUCM version 14 cluster it just seem to go around in circles. 
Messages on the phone screen are in this order. 

1. Configuring VLAN
  2. Configuring IP
  3. Requesting configuration
  4. TFTP SEP0013C307EB7D.cnf.xml ( this is the file for the phone as the phones mac is that address )
  5. TFTP P0030801SR2.loads ( i understand this is the latest firmware the phone can be on the Appload on the phone seem to match)
  6. Configuring IP 
  7. Configuring CM List
  8. Defaulting CM to TFTP Serv..... ( can;t read the full message )
  9. Opening 10.64.132.20 ( IP of the CUCM Pub)

If i leave the phone on it then just loops on the items 6 to 9 

I get the feeling its some security issue but no idea how to fix it as a factory reset on the phone does not help. There is no trust list when I check the security settings on the handset. there is a CTL file that I have tried to delete but TBH not sure it really is deleting it.   

Have you installed the most recent devpack on the V11 servers? If not, that could be part of the issue. It might be easier getting the firmware updated prior to the registration change although there is obviously a risk with that. The are several 7900 series phones that require an interim upgrade to get to the most recent version. What firmware version are the phones running when registering to the V11 server?

HI Elliot,

Not sure about the Dev pack how would I check? the 7960 phones are currently running on CUCM System version: 11.5.1.17900-52 .

When working on the 11.5 the phone has the firmware P0030801SR2 and as i understand this is the correct version needed for version 14. 

When connecting to the ver 14 its running 
System version: 14.0.1.12900-161 and when the phone boots it appears to still be on P0030801SR2.

I managed to pull this log entry out of RTMT but what is odd is it mentions SIP when the phone is an SCCP and oddly the message below has not been repeated since the 7th even though the phone has tried multiple times since. 

3010: (cucm server IP) Mar 07 2023 14:17:07.362 UTC : %UC_CALLMANAGER-3-EndPointTransientConnection: %[ConnectingPort=5060][DeviceName=SEP0013C307EB7D][DeviceType=7][Reason=3][Protocol=SIP][MACAddress=0013C307EB7D][LastSignalReceived=SIPRegisterInd][StationState=wait_register][ClusterID=StandAloneCluster][NodeID=(cucm server IP)]: An endpoint attempted to register but did not complete registration

Thanks

Are you trying to auto-register the phone, or did you build it in advance? If you are trying to auto register, CUCM may be configured to prefer SIP. That said, the 7940/7960's are way old. At some point you should try to replace them with newer models. Is it only the 7940/7960's that are causing problems?

Check out this link talking about Cisco deprecating the models you list.

https://goziro.com/cisco-deprecated-ip-phones-in-cucm-14-0/ 

I also found this article talking about Cisco reversing a decision to deprecate them.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/14_0_1/fieldNotices/cucm_b_deprecated-phones-14.html 

Perhaps you need a newer version of CUCM 14 to allow those models to be supported?

simon hester
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the comments Elliot

I was aware of the notices and yes they are very old phones of which our customer only has a smallish number.  I'm having a discussion to see if we can swap them out. 

As far as i can tell the phone is not set to auto register as we set it up manually in CUCM. 

It was more of I never like to give up as it seemed close to working. I had managed to get some older 7911 and 7941 but these run different firmware. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: