cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to set voice mailbox to a particular user

fmt_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have CUCM, System version: 11.5.1.13900-52.  We also have Cisco Unity Connection version: 11.5.1.13900-52 for the voice mailbox.

There's a user for whom it's impossible to set a voice mailbox and we are out of idea what went wrong.  Our users are all from Active Directory, thus found by LDAP.

Whenever we try to import this user, it always fails.  And this is the error message:

Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:45:21 PM CEST ERROR importing user (sduvault) : Phone Number or URI input is invalid

I have compared this user with another one -- everything's the same (except the name and number, of course).

I have also compared the devices and directory numbers -- everything's the name (except the name, number and other things that should be different, of course).

I'm running out of idea what went wrong.  Could someone help me please?

17 Replies 17

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Is this number somewhere else in your system.

Check for the dependency it most likely is somewhere.

What happens when you import the user with a different number, does it work for the user?

If it does what happens when you try to change it to the number you want does it work?

Post screen shots of the error message you are getting as well.

@Gregory Brunn wrote:

https://youtu.be/wA1vqRCkno8

Here is the video of the whole process (I previously attached a video more than 6 hours ago but the video is still unavailable.  So I post it on YouTube).  You can see that import of that particular user gives to a failure.  And the error message is the same that I pasted earlier.

PS: I haven't tried to change the number as others have suggested.

fmt_cisco

I think at this point you need to change the number to see if it will import correctly. If it does, then the 331608xxxx number is in use somewhere else in Unity. That is the first easiest step as Gregory mentioned I believe.

Yes,

You  need to test importing the user with a different number, as I stated before. 

Have a good one.

@Gregory Brunn wrote:

Yes,

You  need to test importing the user with a different number, as I stated before. 

I finally have the time to test this: ie change the user number (because the user is using the number!)

Unfortunately, with the new number, I'm still unable to add voice message box.  Still the same error message "Phone Number or URI input is invalid"

I'm thinking what this "URL" is.  URL = email address?  The user's email address is very long.  Is there any limit in the number of characters in the e-address?

fmt_cisco1

I am not aware of a limitation, but you may have the right of it. Try importing that person, only change the e mail to a simple one for the import and if it goes through, you will know that is exactly the issue, or create a testing user for that number and a shorter e mail. I suspect you are on the right track now though.

Good Luck

Jason

I agree with Gregory and I usually find it as an Alternate Extension on someone that changed extensions but wasn't deleted and recreated and the help desk didn't realize there was an Alternate Extension so it follows the record around until you try and use that extension for something else.

@Gregory Brunn wrote:

The whole error message is the message I pasted.  That's all.  There's no more information (except the date-time stamp) than there is.  If you like, I can make a video and paste it.

@jason-mcgee wrote:

I agree with Gregory and I usually find it as an Alternate Extension on someone that changed extensions but wasn't deleted and recreated and the help desk didn't realize there was an Alternate Extension so it follows the record around until you try and use that extension for something else.

How to find if the number is "somewhere else" in the system?  The number is not an extension number, but an SDA.

I don't think it's something "left" from previous setting.  The system was all new and it was set up by a subcontractor.  This problem happened from the very beginning!  And the subcontractor was never able to assign a voice message to this user.

But let's suppose it's really something "left" behind from a previous configuration.  How to check?

I haven't tried to "import the user with a different number" because changing number to a user is not obvious.  As a matter of fact, I find the process to assign a number to a user is very tedious and non-trivial.  We had a PABX and it was far easier to change a user number!

You could change the number in ldap or in when you import it. I believe it is a check box and then just click on the number and changing it. I don’t have the GUI into front of me right now. 

have a good one 

There is a way to search the entire system for a value, but it's not easy. It uses CUDLI, which is like a database explorer program, and you get it from here: www.ciscounitytools.com (again, I don't think you'll like it, as it's not easy to setup, or run, but there are instructions and even video tutorials on that site)

To do it manually through the Web, you would...

To find Primary and Alternate extensions for Users, use the User search function, but switch the "Limit Search to" drop down from "All" to "Partition" and then switch the radio button to "Display Primary and Alternate Extensions in Selected Partition"

*You may have more than one partition to pick from, so you might have to perform the search multiple times in different partitions, though it's less common to partition out CUC than it is in CUCM, so you may only have one which should match the name of the server.

Your search results output will now contain multiple rows for any mailbox which contains more than just their Primary Extension. If you were to now filter the search "Find Users where" on "Extension" you could possibly locate a phone number already in use as either Primary or Alternate.

No other object has alternate extensions, so you'll have to look now at just primary extensions on the following: System Distribution Lists, System Call Handlers, Directory Handlers, Interview Handlers,

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

As others have mentions, this is more than likely caused by this number being used elsewhere in your system. Don't forget to check System Call Handlers.  You will also need to check to see if this extension is used as an alternate extension.  To do this go to the user page and change "Limit Search to" and change it to Partition and then make sure "Display Primary and Alternate Extensions in Selected Partition " is checked.

mikeleebrla
Level 1
Level 1

In addition to the good info you've received so far, you can also use the Audio Text Manager for Unity Connection to search for any referenced extension.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/ATM/ATM.html

Once installed you just need to click the find button, then search by extension. It will search everything in Unity that references that partition extension.  It's a very powerful tool that is much easier and faster to use than the web GUI for managing Unity.

AT-|
Level 1
Level 1

I realize, I'm a bit late to the party but I thought I'd share. I was facing the very same issue on the same system version as you. In my case, the issue was with the AD account. I haven't been able to identify what exactly in the AD account was triggering the error but my guess is some unintended space or character in the username... Anyway, deleting and recreating the AD user account, fixed the issue in my case. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: