cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified CM & PLM 11.x license migration

Live2 Bicycle
Level 3
Level 3

Please see the attached screen shot of my Prime License Manager Version 11.0.1.10000-2.

Over the weekend I upgraded one of my unified CM clusters from 10.5 to 11.x.  As I expected PLM now shows I need 11.x licenses.

I believe I have to run through the License Fulfillment migrate task.   I did this and it generated a file that I am supposed to send to licensing via email.

I’m curious what this process is going to do to the rest of my licensing.  I do not want this to affect my other Unified CM clusters that are also being managed by PLM.

Has anyone with multiple Unified CM clusters upgraded from 10.x to 11.x and gone through this process yet?

Thanks in advance for any input.

17 Replies 17

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have never done this.

Now since you have centralised PLM and on version 11.x , so other CUCM clusters which are on 10.x would also get out of SYNC because of PLM version mismatch.

from the snapshot I can see, u require only one Enhanced license for version 11. x .Do u have only have device registered in CUCM 11.x Is it so?

regds,

aman

Morning Aman,  I was able able to apply version 11.x licenses along with 10.x.   There was no version mismatch.

So it appears we can have 10.x and 11.x licenses applied to PLM at the same time.  I also took the opportunity to see if I could add version 9.x license to PLM. 

As you can see from my screen shot I now have 9.x, 10.x and 11.x Licenses all on the Same PLM. 

Yes the 11.x cluster only had one phone, an IP Communicator device configured on it at the time I took my screen shot. 

I think I will now move my other 9.x Unity Connection and Unified CM clusters from my ELM server to PLM since I can have all 3 license versions on PLM.

I was referring the Supported products under PLM in below link :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051_chapter_00.html

Cisco Prime License Manager supports the following products:

Product

Enterprise License Manager Release 9.1

Cisco Prime License Manager Release 10.x

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 9.1

Yes

Yes

Cisco Unity Connection Release 9.1

Yes

Yes

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.x

Yes, with license definition updates (see License Definitions)

Yes

Cisco Unity Connection Release 10.x

Yes, with license definition updates (see License Definitions)

Yes

Cisco Emergency Responder Release 10.x

No

Yes

But could not find the same for CUCM 11 but would be supported as your attached snapshot shows.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/11_0_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_U2C0C808_00_user-guide-rel-1101/deployment.html

regds,

aman

I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly as I will be migrating my cluster to 11.x from 10.5 in the next week or two. My PLM is co-resident with Publisher.

First, Perform the upgrade on all servers in my cluster.

Second, on PLM go to Fulfillment/Migrate and generate the request from there to migrate all licenses to 11.x.

Am I correct?

Hi Steve,

Need to check Migrate License option.

But , you can keep a snapshot of licenses usage from CUCM 10 as shared in discussion.

After u upgrade Call Manager to 11, click on Generate License Request , copy and save it in Notepad.

You can share with licensing@cisco.com with Sales Order [SO] to get permanent license of CUCM 11.

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman, 

These are good references. I hope we need to update license definition which i had no idea before.

I will try and update.

Did you upgrade the PLM to 11.x version first and then applied the 11.X CUCM licenses or you have done it on PLM 10.x only?

dgrup
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hopewell2,

I hope you have been able to resolve this issue in the time, but I do not see an update as such.

PLM 10.x supports CUCM and CUC 11.x licensing.  However, you will first need to install a 11.x license define file that can be found on the cisco website. 

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286265616&softwareid=284832454&release=11.0%281%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest.

Thank you,

Dave grup

Hi Dave,

thanks for sharing info.

Do we need to upload this .definition file in CUCM 10 and also ,do we need to reboot the server after the file is uploaded?

regds,

aman

Aman,

No, there is no need to upload the file to CUCM. This is a definition file specifically for PLM to give it the capabilities to support 11.x licensing. 

The documentation does not state that a server restart is necessary, although it couldn't hurt.

PLM 10.5.1 Administration -> License Definitions

11.x License Definition for PLM 10.x

Thank you,

thanks for reply[+5]

I understood ,we need to install new Lic Definition file from PLM.

regds,

aman

[+5]  for updates.

regds,

aman

Anil Sharma
Level 3
Level 3

hi Hope,

I am also planning to upgrade from CUCM 9.X (ELM co-resident on Publisher) to 11.X, I did some lab tests before going to production and I was getting same "Enhanced (11.X) licenses -2 Insufficent License" after upgrade.

Then on PLM I clicked License > Fulfilment > Other fulfilment options > Generate License Request. (it gave some long code). I logged into Cisco.com and downloaded demo licenses (as it was lab environment) for version 11 by pasting the code & it sent the new license file to my email id, I loaded that to PLM and there was no license error anymore.

My Confusion now is : In production do we need to send any email to Cisco Licensing or we can download licenses ourselves. would you know ?

You can see my snapshots at :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12918241/cucm-upgrade-ip-phone-firmware

Thanks for your advise.

Hi Anil,

the procedure to get permanent license could be either option. You can generate and download the licenses on your own or you can send mail to licensing team along with generated PLM of CUCM 11 .

I am attaching the snapshot of how to download the lic file from www.cisco.com/go/license

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: