cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Communications on UCS C-Series through 6140 UCS Manager

matthew.gallo
Level 5
Level 5

I have a customer that has decided to provision their UCS C-210M2 using a PALO card to an existing 6140.  They intend on using UCS Manager to provision the server and serve network connectivity.  This is supported right up until the Unified Communications comes into the mix.  UC requires two RAID arrays, RAID 1 (2 Disks) for VMware and RAID 5 (8 Disks) Virtual Machines.  UCS Manager does not allow more than 1 RAID type per service profile.  How do we make this work in a supported model?

3 Replies 3

srichardson
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, Matthew.

I'm working on B-series, but this question intrigued me.  You might find this document helpful.  Please let me know.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/servers.html#wp46942

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

I don't know that you can do this via the 6140.  In every case where I've ever had to do this on a C series chassis, you do it via the CIMC interface (which looks an awful lot like UCS manager).  CIMC is available via the 3rd iLO like port on the back of the chassis. 

Cliff

UCS Manager is not able to provision the RAID arrays (Feature request - PLEASE).  Cisco UC BU has the TRC#1-3 yet is flexible.

Two solutions are as follows:

1. DAS - Use CIMC to configure the RAID arrays (2 disks RAID1) for VMware + (8 disks RAID5).  Create a service profile in UCS Manager that specifies that the Service Profile will not apply any local disk policies.

2. Diskless - Qualify the SAN environment, provision C210M2 using TRC#3 specs.  Build service profile in UCS Manager as needed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: