cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 Directory Services

Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity 4.0 system that just started having problems with the directory service and it will not sync with AD/GC.  I go into the DOHPropTest Utility under the AD Monitor and GC Monitor and see the service status is reporting not registered.  I imagine this is reffereing to the  AvDSAD or AvDSGlobalCatalog services but they are both running and set to the proper directory services users after running permissions wizard.  Any idea on why this would be Not Registered?

It is causing alot of issues with being able to add new users (We can't) as well as any updates aren't getting synced.

10 Replies 10

srichardson
Level 4
Level 4

You might try re-running the service config wizard.  You can find it under the Tools Depot, Administrative Tools.

Thanks for the suggestion unfortunatly that did not help.  Any other ideas.  Or does anyone know the procedure to properly remove a user using SQL.  Problem is becuase it won't sync directory info now I cannot edit anything with the users extension either so the extension cannot even be used in voicemail as you try to get to it and says the system is temporarily unavailable.  Ultimatly want to fix the directory issue but at least if I can manage that I can get them working using an existing user.

I'm sorry that did not work. 

To remove a user in SQL is as follows:

1. Open SQL Enterprise Manager

2. Browse to the approriate server and select the UnityDB database.

3. Open the tables icon

4. In tables, scroll down to Subscribers and right click, query.

5. In the alias field, enter the alias you are searching for and then click the run icon (exclamation point) in the menu.

6. It should return your user.

7. Highlight the row and right click and copy to a notepad file in case you need to add it back in for some reason.

8. After copying, highlight and simply delete.

7. You should then also check the Global Subscribers table for the same user alias as if directory sync is messed up, it won't delete in that table. The user needs to be removed in both places.  Just remember to copy the row you delete in each case.

Thank you that got me to at least get the user going on an old account.  I still need to resolve the main issue though of the service not working as that was only to buy me a little bit of time.

Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any ideas on the root problem of the directory services showing not registered?

Jonathan,

I apologize but in order to help you, I need to get back to the basics a bit.  Your original post jumps into looking at DOH results; however, a secondary post asks about how to delete a user in SQL.  Can you tell me more about the issue you are experiencing ... i.e., the symptoms (not specific to DOH results)?

Hailey

Jonathan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We cannot add or update any users.  The system is setup with Unified Messaging with Exchange 2000.  Any updates in Active Directory to users will not sync over and vice versa.  If I try and add a new user it just errors out and adds the user but when you go to login as that account it says the system is temporarily unavailable (This was the reason I had asked about the SQL commands so I could atleast remove this account).  Let me know what other information you might need.

Thanks,
Jon

I would first ask if the passwords for any of the Unity service accounts have been updated in AD.  There are generally 4 service accounts (UnityInstall, UnityAdmin, UnityMsgStoreSvc, and UnityDirSvc).  Regardless of whether you named them that way or not, there are two accounts that do most of the legwork for the application and they are the message store service account and directory services account.  If the service account passwords are changed in AD, you also have to update the password on the individual services on the Windows OS of the Unity server.  You then need to reboot the server once that is complete.

The procedures that need to be followed are here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_100.html

Here is a listing of the Unity 4.x services and their typical configuration:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_550.html#wpxref94835

Note the services that are configured to log on as either the message store or directory services account.

I actually had a customer that reported a similar issue to me recently.  The version of Unity was different but the concepts and behavior are pretty much the same.  In that case, the symptoms were as follows:

Attempt to add a user via WebSA - error message that the user cannot be added

• I checked the SQL DB and saw the the subscribers were actually being added to the SQL database but the all of the properties were .
  • Checked the Global Subscriber Manager (GSM) - these subscribers were not listed.
  • Using the Remove Subscriber Properties tool (aka Bunny Killer), I could see that the Location attribute for these Subscribers was not updated as it should be when they were added.
  • I tried to import a user using the Bulk Import Tool (i.e., not from the Web SA interface) - no errors, Subscribers added properly.  This is actually something you should try when you have issues like this to isolate the problem or determine if it is more systematic.

In this particular case, the service account passwords had been updated but the server was not rebooted once the changes were made.

Based on the info, I'd start down the same path for you.  It would be helfpul to know what error you receive when you add a Subscriber as well.  You may not have the same problem but it's a good starting point.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Ok I did rerun through the accounts verified passwords, reran the permissions wizard and rebooted the server.  Everything was started like before but I still get an error adding a user.   This time though it did not add the user at all.  The error I get is

"Unrecognized error 0x800401E4 has occurred.

The new subscriber was not added successfully."

I still can see in the GC/AD Monitor's in DOHPROP test that the service shows not registered as I originally stated. 

Do you have any corresponding errors or events in the application or system logs when that error is returned? Are you attempting to create a new user or import an existing user? Have you tested to see if you can create or import from another tool besides the Web SA?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: