Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1(2) Integrated messaging help

Hello,

I'm trying to setup integrated messaging with UC and Exchange and am having trouble understanding what to put in the "Relay Address" under message settings and what to put under "SMTP Proxy Addresses"   It would seem to me that the "Relay Address" should be the address of my Exchange server but a) I've already configured that as my Smart Host and b) it won't accept an ip address in that field.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Relay Address

Select the address to which Cisco Unity Connection relays voicemail,  email, fax, or delivery receipts when Connection is configured to relay  that message type. This field is not editable unless you have selected  Relay the Message or Accept and Relay the Message as the message action  for one or more message types.

Note In order to configure Connection  to relay messages, you must first configure an SMTP Smart Host on the  System Settings > SMTP Configuration > Smart Host page.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/gui_reference/guide/7xcucgrg010.html

SMTP Proxy Addresses

Revised May 2009

Cisco Unity Connection uses SMTP proxy addresses to map the recipients  of an incoming SMTP message that is sent by a user from an IMAP client  to the appropriate user or VPIM contact. If users use IMAP clients to  send, reply to, or forward messages to VPIM contacts on the Connection  server, you should configure each VPIM contact with any SMTP address  that users might use to address to that contact from their IMAP clients.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac085.html#SMTP_Proxy_Addresses

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java,

Thanks.   I read that part but I don't understand what address to put in the Relay address.   Is this supposed to be the IP address of my SMTP server?   If so, I tried that and it won't take it.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glen,

Hailey, here.  There's a couple points I believe are getting confused here.  For integrated messaging, you are going to use IMAP.  If I understand you correctly, you are looking at the User > Message Actions menu and the "Relay Address" field.  This field is not applicable to IMAP.  Instead, the Relay Address is only used if you are using Message Relay or Store and Forward features.  In those scenarios, you choose an action type for each type of message and if you choose to relay say voicemail then the "Relay Address" is the email address to which you wish to relay to.  See below:

Relay Address

Select the address to which Cisco Unity Connection relays voicemail, email, fax, or delivery receipts when Connection is configured to relay that message type. This field is not editable unless you have selected Relay the Message or Accept and Relay the Message as the message action for one or more message types.

Note : In order to configure Connection to relay messages, you must first configure an SMTP Smart Host on the System Settings > SMTP Configuration > Smart Host page.

Then there is also the SMTP Smart Host configuration.  This is used for various features within CUC and this would be either the IP or the FQDN of the SMTP Relay server (could be Exchange, Linux, etc).  Basically, the server that is going to handle SMTP relay for CUC.  This is under System Settings > SMTP > Smart Host.  This is where you would specify the IP address of your relay host.

The SMTP Proxy address is generally to be the user's corporate email address (for lookup purposes among other things).  This functionality is outlined very well in the Administration guide.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Ok so maybe I'm confused.   If I look in the IMAP config doc for UC 7.1 I see the following:

Task List for Configuring IMAP Access in Cisco Unity Connection

Revised May 2009

1. If you plan to configure Cisco Unity Connection to relay messages for users to another SMTP server, do the following subtasks:

a. Configure the SMTP smart host to accept messages from the Connection server. See the documentation for the SMTP server application that you are using.

b. Configure the Connection server to relay messages to the smart host. See the "Configuring the Cisco Unity Connection Server to Relay Messages to a Smart Host" section.

c. In Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 only: Review the settings that control whether private or secure messages can be relayed. See the "Configuring Message Relay Settings (Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 and Later)" section.

2. Configure message actions for Connection users or user templates. See the "Message Actions" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by User Account Settings" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

3. Configure SMTP proxy addresses for users who will send or receive messages from IMAP clients. See the "SMTP Proxy Addresses" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by User Account Settings" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

Step 2 states to set the message actions.   If you click the "Message Actions" link, it takes you here:

To Configure Message Actions for an Individual User or Template

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the user account or template that you want to edit.

Step 2 On the Edit menu, click Message Actions.

Step 3 On the Edit Message Actions page, select an action for each message type:

Accept the Message—Connection delivers the message to the user mailbox.

Reject the Message—Connection rejects the message. If possible, Connection sends a non-delivery receipt to the sender.

Relay the Message—Connection forwards the message to the address you specify in the Relay Address field.

Accept and Relay the Message (Connection 7.1 and later)—Connection delivers the message to the user mailbox, and forwards a copy of the message to the address you specify in the Relay Address field. Note that any actions the user takes on the relayed copy are not reflected on the message in the Connection message store. If the user does not regularly manage new messages in the Connection message store, the user mailbox may quickly exceed the mailbox quota because new messages are not subject to message-aging policies.

Note Connection does not allow you to save the page with a relay option (either Relay the Message or Accept and Relay the Message) selected for any message type unless you have already configured an SMTP smart host on the System Settings > SMTP Configuration > Smart Host page.

Step 4 If you chose a relay option for any message type in Step 3, in the Relay Address field, enter an SMTP address (for an individual user) or an SMTP address pattern (for a user template).

If you are configuring a user template, you can enter a combination of text and tokens that Connection replaces with a value entered for the user profile when creating a user from the template. To add a token to the Relay Address field, click the name of the token in the Replaceable Tokens list, then click the arrow next to the Replaceable Tokens field.

Step 5 Click Save.

Thanks,

Glenn

That's the user email address to which you're going to relay the messages.

Take 5 minutes and read this, you'll get some more insight about this.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1215926#1215926

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

While you're reading things, read this as it (I think) it more clearly points out what this is:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html?blogger=William+Bell

The message relay options and IMAP/Integrated Messaging can be used independently of each other.  I know the documentation can be confusing but I have a system in my lab and have set up Integrated Messaging with minimal configuration.  In addition, I've also set up the relay and store and forward messaging options to get email sent to the Inbox (closer simulation of UM) as opposed to an IMAP folder.

Read up on Viewmail for Outlook as well - you'll find the documentation on CCO and can understand what capabilities it provides outside of basic IMAP configuration.

Hailey

Thanks for the info.

Glenn

Any success?

Well, to follow-up...if you look closely at the surrounding information regarding the Message Actions settings then you'll see that Cisco points out that for a standard Integrated Messaging set-up, the default message action would be Accept the Message.  This stores the message in CUC and the user would then access it via IMAP or TUI (e.g., traditional methods).  However, since even replies from IMAP clients use SMTP - you can also configure the relay or store and forward message actions for a particular user or template if you need/require that. These settings affect all message of each particular type and you would then need to enter the email address to forward messages to.  So, if you are using IMAP to view messages but you set up messages to be relay only to another address then you would never see any messages via IMAP or hear them via TUI because a copy is not stored on CUC.  The only message you'd see is the original relayed to your relay address (e.g., jdoe@hotmail.com).  If you chose to use Store and Forward then you'd still get messages via IMAP/TUI but you'd also get a duplicate of those messages at another email address as well because a local copy is stored to CUC (which you access via IMAP/TUI) and another copy is relayed to another address (a bit redundant to me).  My hunch is you want the first - standard IMAP, accept all messages, everything is stored and accessed via CUC using IMAP or TUI directly.  So, the configuration steps by themself are correct but you have to dig into the entire system design and administration guides completely for the nuances of the various features and how they interfact.

Hailey

Hailey,

Thanks again for the info.   I've been using the seperate Exchange inbox for some time now but it doesn't work as reliably as I had hoped.   I'm not sure the relay feature is going to give me what I'm looking for either.   Should've done Unity with UM.

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi David,

You said that you've managed to set up Integrated Messaging with minimal configs in your lab.

Could you please clarify which steps in the "Task  List for Configuring IMAP Access" that are required and which steps aren't, if I  want to setup Integrated Messaging? Or, if its easier for you, could you please list your own steps. The Unity Connection guide docs are quite confusing.

Thanks. (Will rate helpful post)

Regi

Tasks that would be "optional" are in red.  Mandatory tasks are bold.  However, I can talk a bit more about the steps in general if that will help make them less confusing to you.  The full link is included below.  Let's start here and see what questions you have.

Task List for Configuring IMAP Access in Cisco Unity Connection

Revised May 2009

1. If you plan to configure Cisco Unity Connection to relay messages for users to another SMTP server, do the following subtasks:

a. Configure the SMTP smart host to accept messages from the Connection server. See the documentation for the SMTP server application that you are using.

b. Configure the Connection server to relay messages to the smart host. See the "Configuring the Cisco Unity Connection Server to Relay Messages to a Smart Host" section.

c. In Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 only: Review the settings that control whether private or secure messages can be relayed. See the "Configuring Message Relay Settings (Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 and Later)" section.

2. Configure message actions for Connection users or user templates. See the "Message Actions" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by User Account Settings" chapter of theUser Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

3. Configure SMTP proxy addresses for users who will send or receive messages from IMAP clients. See the "SMTP Proxy Addresses" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by User Account Settings" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

Note At a minimum, we recommend that you configure the corporate email address of each user as an SMTP proxy address for the user.

4.     Associate users with a class of service that offers a license to use an IMAP client to access voice messages. See the "IMAP Client Access to Voice Messages" section in the "Setting Up Features and Functionality That Are Controlled by Class of Service" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

5. Configure SMTP proxy addresses for VPIM contacts who may receive messages from IMAP clients. See the "SMTP Proxy Addresses" section in the "Managing Contacts" chapter of the User Moves, Adds, and Changes Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

6.     Configure the Connection server to allow SMTP connections from IMAP clients. See the "Configuring the Cisco Unity Connection Server for IMAP Client Access and Authentication" section.

7. If you configured Transport Layer Security to be required or optional in the procedure in Task 6.: Configure the Connection server to provide a secure IMAP connection, as described in the "Creating and Installing an SSL Server Certificate" section on page 25-2.

8. Optionally, modify the settings that determine the characteristics of SMTP messages that Connection accepts. See the "Configuring SMTP Message Parameters" section.

9.     For each user workstation, configure a supported IMAP client to access a Connection mailbox. See the "Configuring an Email Account to Access Cisco Unity Connection Voice Messages" chapter of the User Workstation Setup Guide for Cisco Unity Connection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag175.html

Hailey

Thanks for the help and offer David. I'll let you know if I have more questions

Right now, I'm still trying to understand about the configuration components in Unity Connection relating to the type of messaging that can be deployed. Your post in netpro and your blog has been really helpful.

Thanks,

Regi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: