Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7 forward voicemail to email

katberts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm in an interesting situation where I have a customer whose end users are connected to legacy PBX and have Unity Connection 7 for their voicemail.  I have no visibility into the UCM6 to see how it is configured but the end users are interested in being able to forward voicemails to their emails.  I have a test number set up that I tried to modify the message actions to "relay the message" to my email address.  I called the test number and left a message.  I did not receive any message in my email ( I use Lotus notes). My email address is not on the customer's network, but that shouldn't make a difference, I reasoned.  I then added my email address to the SMTP Proxy Address; called the test number, left a message and again did not receive any email.

In my readings of Connection 7, it seems to indicate that I can forward voicemails to email.  Does this not work because I am not on the customer's network?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!!!

10 Replies 10

rybloom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can send or relay messages to any SMTP address.  The full description of the feature and the System Admin areas associated is described here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag170.html#wp1091330

The Unity Connection Troubleshooting guide has a section on the Message Relay feature...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/troubleshooting/guide/7xcuctsg120.html#wp1060828

Thanks,

Ryan

Thank you very much... I thought I could but it wasn't working and since I have no visibility into the call manager, I wasn't sure if there was some configuration that needed to take place on that device.

Kiley

While the CUCM needs to be configured to interact with Unity Connection for things like MWI for instance, the feature that you refer to has no configuration bits in the CUCM. All is done in the Unity system and so the first thing I'd check are the configuration of the outgoing SMTP gateway that Unity Connection should use. Make sure you have all details needed and after that (as the troubleshooting guide says) make sure you enter the full email address you want the email to be sent to in the user's profile.

Cheers,

Jose

Hi there.  Yes, do check with the SMTP relay host for configuration.  Some clients choose to configure the SMTP host to ONLY relay to email addresses on their or certain domains.  I'd also double check by setting your relay address to an internal customer address, assuming your contact could help you hear.  Best of luck.

Hi Stephanie

I saw your responce and it seem you really know what you are talking abouy

please help me

im trying to configure simple mail relay with unity connection 8.6 i am using a smart host (made sure the ip address of the unity connection server is allowed to relay messaged) im trying to relay a message inside a corporation so thats not the problem

i have changed the settings to relay the message in the user settings and its just wont work

how can i check it or make sure my configurations are correct ?

please please help

Eliran

Eliran,

The Unity Connection trouble shooting guide is full of SMTP checks you should verify... 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/troubleshooting/guide/8xcuctsgx.html

Some things to consider while trouble shooting: 

• What doesn't work is also very important - is it just Accept / Relay or all outbound SMTP? 
  • Is any traffic making it to your Smart Host?
  • Are any kind of NDR's generated?
  • What does the Smart Host logging or Unity Connection loggin reveal?

Thanks,

Ryan

reillyjj
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know if it possible to attach the voicemail to the email as a .wav file on Unity Connection 7, like you can on Unity Express?

Thanks

Yes, you can.

Remember, Unity Connection is really a VOICEMAIL, not Unified messaging application, but there are two ways to get a .wav file in your email, per se.

1.  The first is to allow IMAP connections from say Outlook to the Unity Connection server.  This would allow a client to connect to Unity Connection and see the message in Outlook under a separate account.  There are caveats to this, in that you really need to consider the impact of forwarding or reply when you have the message available to you in Outlook.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag175.html#wpmkr1089847

2.  The other is to "Accept and Relay" messages.  THis can be done in the Unity Connection server on a user by user  basis.  Unity Connection would then forward a copy of the message to the specified SMTP address, as a .wav file.  With this method, you need to remember that there is no synchronization...you now have 2 copies of the message...one in the Unity Connection message store, on in the email box you forwarded to.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag170.html#wpmkr1091333

Stephanie,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just upgraded to CUCM-BE V7.1 and implemented your suggestion on the "Accept and Relay", and it works great. This is a great interim way to get voicemails delivered to a Blackberry until full unified messaging is part of Unity Connection.

Thanks Stephanie, worked like a charm!