Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7 Upgrade

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Quick question. Upgrading a single node 7.0.2 to 8.X and want to start the upgrade now and switch version during maintenance window. At what stage do the messages transfer....is it during the upgrade or is it at switch version?

I obviously don't want to lose all the messages in between the upgrade and the switch version

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Just to add a note to the tips from my friend Java (+5)

No messages will be lost during the "switch-version" as they are stored in a common partition as shown in the link below;

Switching to the Upgraded Version of Connection 8.x Software

If you chose not to automatically switch to the upgraded partition at the end of the upgrade, do the following procedure when you are ready to switch partitions.

To Switch to the Upgraded Version of Connection 8.x Software

Step 1 If you do not have a recent backup, back up the server by using the Disaster Recovery System. For more information, see the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x athttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/drs_administration/guide/8xcucdrsag.html.

Step 2 Sign in to Cisco Unified Operating System Administration.

Step 3 From the Settings menu, select Version.

Step 4 On the Version Settings page, select Switch Versions, and the following occurs:

Connection services are stopped.

Data from the partition where the older version is installed is copied to the partition where the newer version is installed. If changes to the database schema require updates to the format of data, that occurs in this step. Note that messages are stored in a common partition, so they are not copied.

The Connection server restarts and switches to the newer version.

Note You can check the status of the installation of the upgrade software by using the CLI command show cuc version. The upgrade is complete when the inactive partition has the upgraded software and the active partition has the old software.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrugx/8xcucrug009.html#wp1056720

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

During the upgrade process, you probably want to do this during a maintenance window.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I know but ideally need to start earlier here. I had been told verbally by a TAC engineer a while back that UCCX and CUC migrate their data on switch versions rather than during the upgrade like CUCM. I know this is defintely the case with UCCX as we upgraded it a few days before and the Historical Data was all there after the switch versions.

I guess I'm just after confirmation on this or a second opinion

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Just to add a note to the tips from my friend Java (+5)

No messages will be lost during the "switch-version" as they are stored in a common partition as shown in the link below;

Switching to the Upgraded Version of Connection 8.x Software

If you chose not to automatically switch to the upgraded partition at the end of the upgrade, do the following procedure when you are ready to switch partitions.

To Switch to the Upgraded Version of Connection 8.x Software

Step 1 If you do not have a recent backup, back up the server by using the Disaster Recovery System. For more information, see the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x athttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/drs_administration/guide/8xcucdrsag.html.

Step 2 Sign in to Cisco Unified Operating System Administration.

Step 3 From the Settings menu, select Version.

Step 4 On the Version Settings page, select Switch Versions, and the following occurs:

Connection services are stopped.

Data from the partition where the older version is installed is copied to the partition where the newer version is installed. If changes to the database schema require updates to the format of data, that occurs in this step. Note that messages are stored in a common partition, so they are not copied.

The Connection server restarts and switches to the newer version.

Note You can check the status of the installation of the upgrade software by using the CLI command show cuc version. The upgrade is complete when the inactive partition has the upgraded software and the active partition has the old software.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrugx/8xcucrug009.html#wp1056720

Cheers!

Rob

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for that. I actually read that document but some how missed that part. That will save some valuable time