Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Calling Number for email notifications

bmcghee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

My customer is using email notifications when they get a voicemail on their unity connection 7.1 server however the calling number shows up with the prefixed digit on external calls.  So a call from an external number gets a 9 prefixed on the calling number for the missed calls directory on their phones however they would like to strip the 9 on calls going to Unity so when they get the email notification it shows the 10 digit number so they can click to dial using their smartphones.  So now the email notification looks like:

Voice Count: 5

Voice message from Caller information unknown. 916171112222 received 11:42:56 AM 10/22/2010

and they want it to show:

Voice Count: 5

Voice message from Caller information unknown. 6171112222 received 11:42:56 AM 10/22/2010

I tried setting a calling transformation on the DP and also tried changing the calling number on the Hunt Pilot but neither helped...

Thanks in advance!!!

11 Replies 11

judew
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

I checked around in UC land to see if this is  possible and looking at the subject line formats page there are no  options to adapt the number which is sent to unity.

Unity  will just take the ANI number from the calling information and place it  in the subject line.

It looks like this will need to  be configured on the ccm side. You can try creating a translation pattern for the unity hunt pilot and then change the original calling party in the translation pattern.

Thanks

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

Bmcghee,

I came across your thread while trying to figure out the same issue. The first issue I had after prefixing a 9 to show up in missed and received calls was that PSTN callers calling the voicemail DID would not be recognized by Unity Connection, because their alternate extensions didn't have the 9 configured. I was able to fix that issue by adding a calling party transform mask on the translation pattern that translates the DID to the voicemail pilot.

I tried doing this on the hunt pilot that has the voicemail pilot configured. I used a mask of XXXXXXXXXX hoping that this would only use the 10 digits of the PSTN calls forwarded to Unity Connection as well as all 5 digits of internal callers calling directly to check their voicemail, but this did not work. The PSTN calls that were forwarded did work fine, but it broke the ability for internal callers to call directly to Unity Connection and be recognized as inbox owners.

I don't see how translation patterns could be used. The voicemail pilot number is a drop down box in the voicemail profile, so I don't see how you would insert a translation there. The hunt pilot associates the ports through hunt lists and line groups, so I don't see how you would insert a translation pattern there. This may be possible, but I didn't see a way to do during my initial look.

I think the hunt pilot should have a calling party transformation CSS like phones do or at least the voicemail ports.

I am going to start using a + prefix instead of a 9. I think it makes for a cleaner presentation in both the missed/received calls directory on the phones as well as in the Unity Connection notification email. +13175551234 instead of 913175551234.

I hope this gets fixed by a work a round or by an update to CUCM to add the calling party transformation CSS.

Mark

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

bmcghee,

I came across a document on CCO explaining calling party number normalization. It had a small section toward the bottom that addresses Unity and Unity Connection. It states that these applications don't support the + sign and that you would want to remove it before sending a call to one of these apps. It also states that there are no Transformation CSS configurations on the voice ports and that you would have to configure the Transformation CSS on the Device Pool that is applied to the voicemail ports. This should work for removing the leading 9 or 91 in your situation.

That all sounds great, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I applied the TrnsFrm pattern to the voice mail ports through the device pool and reset the voicemail ports, but it doesn't strip the +1 from the calling number like I had configured it to do. This is the same CSS that is applied to the phone device pool to remove the +1 from the calling number to show on the phone's display. It works on the phone. It didn't work for the voice mail ports for neither direct calls nor forwarded calls.

Here is a link to the document I was referring to. The Unity / CUC section is torward the bottom. Has anyone gotten this to work?

http://www.cisco.mn/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_1/ccmfeat/fscallpn.html

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks Mark; Thats good stuff! I gave up for a while on it since this post, maybe the transform within the device pool will work in a later version of cucm like 8.X?  Thanks again for the reply and info!!!

bmcghee, I'm running 8.0(2) and haven't gotten it to work yet. By the way, earlier I had mentioned that I had changed from prefixing 91 to incoming numbers and went with +1. My reasoning was that I thought it made the number a little more readible to the end user when browsing the missed and received call logs. I have a translation pattern that translates +1 to 91 when a caller dials from those directories (I haven't set up global dialing yet where I won't have to translate it). I also thought it looked better than 91 in the Unity Connection email notification and voicemail box.

After I saw your reply today, I had thought about one of your concerns when you started this post about not being able to dial from blackberry and other mobile devices because of the prepended 91. I was wondering if the +1 version of the number like I now use would be dialable from mobile devices. I tested it and was able to dial it from my iphone. This may be a work around for you until we figure out how to get the calling party transforms to work on the voicemail ports.

Thanks,

Mark

I see this is an old thread but doesn't have resolution. Does that you mean you were able to resolve it? I am researching the same thing and currently unable to get it to work. I am using Unity connection 8.5 and CM 7.1.5. The end result is the same where I want employee to be able to click the email notification from their smart phone and dail the number. The problem is when the message is left from user to user the name and extension are sent in the notification rather than the entire number. Eg. John Doe 1234 instead of John Doe 123-555-1234.

Any advise would be appreciated. I currently have a TAC case without resolve.

Last attempt was using subject: (%D% Message from %NAME% (%CALLERID%) to %CALLEDID%)

thanks in advance.

We solved this issue today by adding:

In the hunt pilot for the voice mail profile:

XXXXXXXXXX

To the:

Calling Party Transformations

Making sure to check the box for

Use Calling Party's External Phone Number Mask

nice. funny how sometimes it's so obvious yet difficult to find. This worked. Thanks for the post!

cheers.

proniz301
Level 1
Level 1

Go to service parameters for CUCM service. ( make advanced view).

Incoming Calling Party Number Prefix - Apply To  Field.

By default it is applied to All , including VM ports.

Choose Phones,CTI, TAPI and JTAPI, so it won't be extended to VM ports.

Hope it helps

Nizami

CCIE 3x #22247 (R&S/SP/Voice)

Proniz301 - Thanks for your wisdom with this. This was a simple fix which fix this issue for us. I really appreciate the help here.

It's funny I came across this because because i was searching and found a post and thought - that is exactly the issue I have - then realized it my post from last year. lol.

proniz301. I changed this setting as suggested. It didnt make a difference. After this change do I need to restart services? I also recently upgraded to CUC 9.1. Are there any changes in 9.1 that will allow this to work now. thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: