Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection drops

mfwilkinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was hoping to get some ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

We just finished a migration and 'go-live' from Unity 7.0(2) to Unity Connection 8.5. Our existing CUCM is 7.1.5 (this did not change with the Unity migration). Seemingly randomly audio will drop with functions related to Unity Connection. This includes, trying to leave a message, listenting to a message, or a voice menu. This happens whether it's an internal (CUCM) or external (PSTN) call. However, when it happens internally on our 7940 phones, there is a "Temp Fail" message displayed.

Unity Connection is running on VMware ESXi 4.1, on a supported HP BL460c server. The OVA installed without problem and Unity Connection installed passing it's hardware verification routine. Unity Connection is the ONLY virtual machine running on this hardware and we plan to keep it that way. This is the first time we've virtualized a Cisco product on VMware, however, we have a couple hundred other servers already on VMware, so VMware itself is not new to us. Our Unity 7.0(2) system ran on one of Cisco's HP MCS platforms and was not virtualized. Also, Unity Connection is currently a stand-alone; it is not installed in a cluster.

Admittedly I am very new to "Unity Connection", however, several years of "Unity" and CUCM under my belt. Can anyone provide some ideas on where to start looking for this problem?

Thanks,

-Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Adam Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

Mike,

How is the HP BL460c connected to your network? Are you using NIC teaming / single NIC / EtherChannel?

Since you are getting a "temp fail" message on the phone, and probably a cause code 41 in your CDRs, I would think there is a network issue with your CUC/ESXi server. You may want to look at the network configuration in vSphere and on your switch.

I recently turned up a UCS server where we attempted setting up and EtherChannel. We had a very mixed result with network connectivity, and ultimately had to do NIC teaming instead.

HTH

Adam

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike

I would start with RTMT on both CUCM and CUC. If you are seeing "Temp Fail" on the phones something has broken and RTMT will hopefully give you a pointer.

What release of CUC have you gone with? I know there are a load of bugs that were fixed in the latest service release which is 8.5(1)SU2.

HTH. Barry

Barry,

I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what version we ended up with, here's what "About" reports:

Cisco Unity Connection version: 8.5.1.10000-206

We were having a series of failures in our Unity 7.0(2), apparently as a result of us moving to Windows 2008r2 domain controllers and/or our move from Exchange 2003 to 2010. So our vendor's engineer came over and slapped in the latest copy he could find and fast-tracked the license migration process. My actual 'real' copy of the software was only just order iva the PUT tool the day our Unity crapped out (yesterday).

We got the problem resolved. It was in the VMware config as Adam suggests below. But we've got some other less major oddities that RTMT may help with. I appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers!

-Mike

Pleasure Mike - Glad you got it all resolved. Great answer from Adam as well.

Barry

Adam Thompson
Level 4
Level 4

Mike,

How is the HP BL460c connected to your network? Are you using NIC teaming / single NIC / EtherChannel?

Since you are getting a "temp fail" message on the phone, and probably a cause code 41 in your CDRs, I would think there is a network issue with your CUC/ESXi server. You may want to look at the network configuration in vSphere and on your switch.

I recently turned up a UCS server where we attempted setting up and EtherChannel. We had a very mixed result with network connectivity, and ultimately had to do NIC teaming instead.

HTH

Adam

Thanks Adam. You nailed it.

We are doing NIC teaming on the VMware side, no EtherChannel. We can't do EtherChannel in our HP blade environment (an HP C7000 chassis) because each NIC in the blade server terminates to different Cisco 3020 blade switch in the chassis. However, in the VMware virtual switch config the NICs are "teamed".

Changing the Load Balancing in the NIC Teaming (on the virtual switch) from "Route based on the originating virtual port ID" to "Route based on source MAC hash" fixed the audio cut-out issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: