cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Import Users After COBRAS Import

joshuamarsh
Level 1
Level 1

I used COBRAS to import my users from Unity 4.x to Unity Connection 7.x.  The import was successful, however, all the users remain in the Unity Connection web GUI import, and I am unable to synch those users up between the existing accounts which were imported w/ COBRAS.  Is there anyway to clean up or synch those accounts so that when the admin runs a user import from the GUI, they only see new users?

Thanks!

Joshua

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you mean you want to have those users synced with LDAP to a remote directory (or AXL to Call Manager or the like).

You need to import them via LDAP or CM first, then do the COBRAS import to update users with the information in the backup.  You can't take already created users in Connection and then "tie" them to a user in the remote system - this isn't unique to COBRAS, this is what you have to do creating users manually or via CSV or whatever.  The way authentication is handled and some properties are controlled externally there's no process currently for "retrofitting" locally created users and turning them into remotely linked users.

if that's not what you were getting at, let us know...

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you mean you want to have those users synced with LDAP to a remote directory (or AXL to Call Manager or the like).

You need to import them via LDAP or CM first, then do the COBRAS import to update users with the information in the backup.  You can't take already created users in Connection and then "tie" them to a user in the remote system - this isn't unique to COBRAS, this is what you have to do creating users manually or via CSV or whatever.  The way authentication is handled and some properties are controlled externally there's no process currently for "retrofitting" locally created users and turning them into remotely linked users.

if that's not what you were getting at, let us know...

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks, Jeff!

gear53x11
Level 1
Level 1

Can you shed some light for me?

I exported all of my Unity 4.1 (exchange) accounts using COBRAS. No errors. I have a folder with several *.MDB files that were generated from the backup that I have copied to my SSH server. When I log into UnityConnection 7.1, I navigate to the 'migrate users' page, enter my SSH Server account info, I log in fine; however I keep getting the error that says...

Bulk Administration Tool encountered an error.

No input file could be found in the migration source directory.

The BUlk Administration Tool is not associated with COBRAS - on the COBRAS Home page you need to download the COBRAS Import for Connection tool:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/COBRAS.html

it connects remotely - review the help file for details on how to get the connection rolling - you don't need to copy files over, you can run it from a Windows server with the MDB files there, it extracts the info and does the import functions from off box.

there's also some training videos on the home page you might want to review for an overview of the process.

-J

lindborg, thx for the videos. They are certainly helping out. However, I am getting stuck when I get to the COBRAS Import CUC 7.0 application. I cannot get logged in. I have downloaded and installed the ODBC dirvers on a windows XP machine. I have started the proxy service on my primary UC server, I have created the dbdude account with the proper roles, and I have stopped and restarted the db proxy service. There are no firewalls between my XP box and my UC server. Am I missing some type of ODBC config step somewhere? Thoughts?

lindborg, I did one more stop/start and I am in now.

Sorry about that!

Yeah, I've had a couple sites mention similiar behavior - sounds like something with the SCM lying about the running status of the proxy service (or in some cases folks don't realize it doesn't start automatically when you shut Connection down and restart).  -908 generally means the port responded but the ODBC service timed out which is normally a situation where the database proxy service is not responsive.  It's one of those things you can't reproduce again once it's working (of course - that would be too easy).

Anyway - glad to hear it's working for you at any rate...

Lindborg,

I am at step 26 of 26. When I click the Start Import, I get the following error. The 10.192.19.202 IP is the test UnityConnection server I am testing this on. There is a firewall in between my laptop where I am running the COBRAS import tool from and the 10.192.19.202 address. I created an explicit rule at the top of my FW to allow all communication just to be sure. Thoughts? Thanks,

an "actively refused connection" is more likely a Connection configuration issue - not necessarily but more likely - did you make sure the SMTP service

was configured to accept unsecure connections?  The details of this are in the COBRAS help file under the section talking about setting up remote connections at the bottom:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Toc260901124

all three of those settings need to be correct (allow connections from untrusted clients, uncheck require authentication and have the transport layer security disabled).

10061 is also commonly caused by firewall or anti virus software - any package like Norton or McAfee will block port 25 default.  If you're sure your firewall is configured to let traffic through then also make sure you don't have an AV package or something like CSA blocking your output ports...

OK, I've submitted a request to get my AV disabled. In the meantime, on the last page 26 of 26, by default the box is checked to "restore voice messages for selected subscribers." When I leave that checked and click the start import (that is where I get the error), exactly where is that importing from? The voice messages from the backup files or the exchange server. If I uncheck it, the import is complete w/o any errors, but did my messages get imported?

Thanks,

Those are coming from the messages backed up to the MDB file(s) in your backup - there will be one MDB file for your directory information and one or more MDB files for messages depending on how many of them were in the backup.

No, if you uncheck that messages are not restored - messages can only be inserted via SMTP and if the port is being blocked it's not possible to import them.

COBRAS Import does have that option to _only_ restore messages for existing users on there so you can easily just import messages later (without updating other user data) later once you get your AV to cooporate with you.

Lindborg, thanks for your help and the videos are very helpful once again. I think I have everything line up for a cutover this weekend. I'll be making a final backup on Sunday evening and performing the import, after a few modifications to alias's, shortly after. One last question. I have not integrated with AD. Is there any reason I should? We are req'd my mgmt to keep VM's separate from users email inboxes. However, in 2011 that might change.

If I do integrate with AD, does that change anything as far as my import? Is it like CUCM, where if you integrate with AD, any account not associated with AD is deleted? Thanks,

lindborg, is there anyway to bulk edit my users COS in Unity Connection 7.1? I dont see that field as an option to change in the bulk edit utility.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: