Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Integration with Google Apps

ymalachi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Unity Connetion 8.x , my customer wants that all the message will send directry to

his Google Apps Application ,Does the Unity Connection integrted with Google Apps ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're using Google Apps as a generic term but there are a number of Google Apps.  One of the many applications is Gmail.
It sounds as if you're client wants his messages from Unity Connection relayed to his Gmail account.  This can be accomodated thru CUC's message relay and store and forward options.  However, it would also require that you have an internal SMTP Smart Host configured on CUC to which it can route the forwarded messages.  The SMTP Smart Host (i.e., SMTP relay) would then also need to be configured to trust CUC and have access to forward to an internet domain such as gmail.com.

If you can confirm for me what exactly you are looking to do, I can likely send more info that is applicable to the scenario above.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

No, CUC can only deliver on-box. Anything relayed to another domain requires Smart Host.

Hailey

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're using Google Apps as a generic term but there are a number of Google Apps.  One of the many applications is Gmail.
It sounds as if you're client wants his messages from Unity Connection relayed to his Gmail account.  This can be accomodated thru CUC's message relay and store and forward options.  However, it would also require that you have an internal SMTP Smart Host configured on CUC to which it can route the forwarded messages.  The SMTP Smart Host (i.e., SMTP relay) would then also need to be configured to trust CUC and have access to forward to an internet domain such as gmail.com.

If you can confirm for me what exactly you are looking to do, I can likely send more info that is applicable to the scenario above.

Hailey

Hi david

thankd for the answer

yes, u are right, my customer wants to forward all the unity coonection to his gmail account ,

i have maange to do it via the "SMART HOST " option like wha u mention ,

but my question is

can u do that withoht the "SMART HOST " configuration ?

can i send the meesge direcrly to gmail account ?

is that possible ?

Thanks

Yaniv

No, CUC can only deliver on-box. Anything relayed to another domain requires Smart Host.

Hailey

Please remember to rate helpful posts and mark questions as answered!

Thanks much!

Hailey

Hi David

Thanks for all the help that u gave to me

i was able to send the CUC message  to an external SMTo via the "SMART HOST "

configuration

U help me a lot

Yaniv

How did you do it? What did you use as the smarthost and please help me with the smarthost configuration.

thank you in advance

Hi David,

I also have a similar question as this thread, but we don't have Unity Connection, we have Unity 7.02 for Exchange.

Upper mgmt wants to get rid of Exchange and move to Google.

Will I be able to do a similar setup as you have mentioned, pointing my Unity (full UM, not just Voicemail) for Exchange towards a non-exchange server like an onsite linux sendmail box?  Or will I need to retain an Exchange SMTP server to relay out to the Google gmail cloud?

Thanks very much,

Brian

Unlike CUC, it's a Unity MANDATORY requirement, to have either Exchange or Domino as the message store.

If you want a non-exchange environment you'll have to go tu CUC, in any case, Unity is no longer being developed since CUC is the replacement and sooner or later you'll have to switch to  it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi David,

I have the same request from one of my clients , I already configured the smart host / Advance messaging  and the messge actions under one of the mail boxes .

what else the client should configure on the SMTP server ( Gmail)

Abdo

I don't know what, if any control, you have over the inbound side of the connection from the Gmail cloud.  What is the actual problem that you are experiencing?

Hailey

Hi David,

I have the similar situation with the original post. Here's the my current environment setup:

1) Cisco Unity Connection 8.6 has been setup in the Virtual environment

2) I was able to use the our internal exchange server as a smarthost and deliver the message to the user mailbox

Under the user message action, I select Voice Mail as Accept and Relay and the Relay Address is user@ourdomain.com

We are in the process of migrating our email to Gmail but keeping the exchange front end server. I am wondering how Yaniv (the original post) was able to use an external SMTP to send CUC message via Smart Host. Do I have to ask Google to provide us tha smart host and put the field that. How does it work? Here is my understanding for the Cisco Unity Connection. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Placed Call-->Unity Recorded and Saved the Message-->Relay or Send a copy to a Smart Host(Mail Server)-->Deliver

(Voice Mail Stores on Unity Connection)

messages to user mailbox

If the Voice Mail message is being deleted from the user inbox, the Voicemail will still be able to retrieve from the phone, correct?

I want to confirm the Unity Connection 8.6 is indeed a self-contained software that do not rely on exchange to store any email and just use smart host to do the relay.

Thanks for all your help!!!

hakach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: