Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection PIN Synchronisation

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have just configured Unity Connection PIN synchronisation with CUCM (v11.5 new feature) using the document at the link below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/200978-How-to-Enable-Common-PIN-for-UCM-and-UC.pdf

This is working ok - I have tested changing the PIN in CUCM from ccmadmin and the self service portal and the change gets copied to Unity Connection.

When I change the PIN from the TUI using the "Set PIN" option on the Extension Mobility service the PIN changes for CUCM but not for Unity.

Is this what other people who have set up this feature are seeing?

The doc I linked to above states:

"If pin synchronization is enabled and when a user updates the pin from CUCM, BAT (Buk Administration Tool), AXL (Administrativve Extensible Markup Language), UDS (User Data Service) or Self Care Portal the pin must synchronized with UCXN"

There is no mention of the TUI so maybe this is working as designed??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

It almost sounds like you are seeing what is explained in the last line of this bug/enhancement;

"We have found that we are able to update the PIN by logging into Extension Mobility and updating the PIN from there. However this will not do a PIN Sync to Unity connection even if the End User has a voicemail box configured or not."

From;

CUCM 11.5 cannot change PIN for user with no mailbox in CUC
CSCva90519

Cheers!
Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

It almost sounds like you are seeing what is explained in the last line of this bug/enhancement;

"We have found that we are able to update the PIN by logging into Extension Mobility and updating the PIN from there. However this will not do a PIN Sync to Unity connection even if the End User has a voicemail box configured or not."

From;

CUCM 11.5 cannot change PIN for user with no mailbox in CUC
CSCva90519

Cheers!
Rob

experienced the same when I tried this feature and was quite surprised about this behavior.
I don't understand why this is only a feature enhancement. Not every customer has voicemail licenses for all users or simply does not want to enable voicemail feature. Still wait for a real built-in "Unified Self Care Portal"in UCM.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, I got the same behavior (https://youtu.be/p6m4gPv0ikE see description), it seems this only works when using AXL, admin pages, or user pages. Haven't tried BAT.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks everyone - you never know if the feature is working as it should until you get this type of feedback.

I am also seeing an issue where, when I try to update a PIN for a CUCM user who does not have a Unity Mailbox, the update fails with a message saying that Unity Connection could not be updated. The CUCM PIN was not changed.

This seems to have broken PIN updates for non-Unity users. I tried updating via ccmadmin and BAT.

This is a dealbreaker for me - most of my customers have some CUCM users without Unity mailboxes.

This is potentially a great feature but it needs more work before I will use it in a production deployment.

Solution

1. Download / uploaded Unified CM and Cisco Unity Connection certificates
  2. Created User (without mailbox) in Cisco Unity Connection - User: PIN-SYNC-USER
  3. Set the AXL Server in Unity Connection (Username: PIN-SYNC-USER | Password: <Password>) and Enable End User PIN Synchronization for Primary AXL Server
  4. Created Application User (same User ID and credential I have in Unity Connection) with Standard AXL API Access Role in Unified CM
  5. Deleted the existing Application Server and re-added it again (with Selected Application Users: PIN-SYNC-USER)
  6. Enable End User Pin Synchronization

That does not fix the described issue.

@Jaime Valencia

@Rob Huffman

Any updates on this feature enhancement?

Looks like enhancement CSCva90531 (PIN Sync does not work with CUC when changing PIN from a phone with EM)  has been made in 12.5 but not 11.5.1(SU4). Or, I haven't seen 11.5.1(SU4) included anywhere in documentation.

Sorry for the redundant question, but not sure I'm clear. I understand EM PIN change doesn't sync. What about changing your PIN via Unity Connection's TUI? Does that sync to CUCM?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: