cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection WEB Inbox Quicktime support?

Ed Kender
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - curious to see what others are doing with the announcement Apple QuickTime ending support of it's plugin within Internet Exporer because of security vulnerabilities?  We currently only run Chrome and IE in our environment and it appears only Firefox is the HTML5 browser supported.  We currently run Unity Connection 10.5.  We are preparing to send communication out to end users letting them know to no longer use the computer for playback but before doing we thought we would reach out to the community.

12 Replies 12

Tim Schroeder
Level 4
Level 4

Tim Schroeder
Level 4
Level 4

Our desktop group just removed Quicktime from all workstations because of this security and non-support issue. This broke the Web Inbox for IE and Chrome browsers. Firefox still works, but unfortunately is not widely used here.

The error that comes up when using Chrome or IE without the Quicktime plug-in is: HTML5 audio compatible browser or QuickTime Plug-in not found. Select Phone option to play the message.

I expect you'll see more people with this problem as IT departments start removing Quicktime from client workstations due to vulnerabilities and the fact that it is now officially a dead product.

This behavior was observed on Unity Connection 10.5 using these browsers:

IE 11.0.9600.18314
Chrome 49.0.2623.75
Firefox 46.0.1

But don't worry, Cisco will quickly provide an update to make Connection use a different media player. Judging from past experience, this will happen in 2-3 years...   ;)

I'm getting this same thing.  Our users like Chrome, but the IT department removed Quicktime plug-in because it is a dead product. 

Now we get this when we go to Web Inbox:

HTML5 audio compatible browser or QuickTime Plug-in not found. Select Phone option to play the message.

Is there an option anymore with Chrome for Web Inbox, or 'no Quicktime, means no Chrome'?

We are on Unity Version 10.5. 

It kind of looks like our options are:

1. Firefox
  2. ?? upgrade Unity ??
  3. no Web Inbox

Does Unity version 11.5 even support Chrome without QuickTime?

Maybe we have one option only -- Firefox.

Yes, 11.5 supports the new media player on chrome and it no longer depends on quicktime

EDIT: this is what it looks like

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/user/guide/assistant/b_11xcucugasst/b_11xcucugasst_chapter_01011.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Are you sure that applies to the Web Inbox for playing voicemails? 

In fact, do the web inboxes in 10.5 and 11.5 even look/act the same?

Yes, I just tried it, I don't have quicktime in my machine, and I heard a message from PCA on CUC 11.5.1.12900-21

Yes, overall, the way they look and work has not changed a lot between versions.

HTH

java

Is it only working for Chrome or also IE?

Regards

Juergen

No, just tried IE (11.576.14393.0) and you get this when you click on play:

HTML5 audio compatible browser or QuickTime Plug-in not found. Select Phone option to play the message.
It does work with Edge (38.14393.0.0)
HTH

java

Foldron2002
Level 1
Level 1

Is the new release of Unity 11.x supporting the Web-Inbox without QuickTime ?

Stephan

Yes, the systems requirements document for 11.x shows the new requirements, and the release notes for 11.5 also provide explanation of the new media player.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

I think you are talking about something different, or? Because in the Release notes there is only the following part regarding New Media Player:

Support for Media Player

With Unity Connection 11.5(1) and later, Media Master is replaced with a new enhanced Media Player that provides improved user experience. You can use Media Player to play, record, upload and download the voice name of the user, contact, distribution list, handler and greetings using phone.

But this has nothing to do with the Web Inbox Player for Voicemails.

Regards

Juergen

Hi All,

facing the same issue when playing VM on browser

HTML 5 audio compatible browser....

unity 9.X

IE 11.0

the crazy part is another user with in the environment is able to hear messages on IE successfully, same version of browser.

any comments

Thanks

Ravi kr.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: