cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity email notification sender address

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

How can I change the domain portion of the sender address used when Unity sends email (text pager) notifications? Our Windows domain (ABC) is different than the email domain used by Exchange (xyz.com). Since the sender is off-net, Exchange thinks I'm relaying and drops the message, I think.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here... the email notifications are sent from the Unity messaging system account (i.e. the account named "Unity_(server name)" that the Unity setup adds to the directory). Can you send email from that account properly?

Did anyone ever solve this problem because I believe I have the same thing? I have a Unity server named "Unity" and it is in the windows domain "avvid.local". I also have a separate exchange server for email. When unity tries to send an email notification to an email account using the ?Text Pager 1? device, it works to some email address and fails to others. If I send the notification to my company email address, it gets delivered and it shows the senders address is ?Unity_Unity@avvid.local?. I believe this is why it fails to some email addresses. If their mail server is doing a reverse DNS lookup to prevent SPAM, then avid.local will not resolve on the internet and therefore the receiving SMTP server drops the message. If I could tell unity to send the message from Unity_Unity@mycompanydomain.com, then it should resolve and pass as a legitimate email. Can you change the default sender address that unity creates when you install it?

Thanks!

Well, I looked through other NetPro posts and found out how to do this. I thought I would post my solution here in case anyone else ever stumbles on this post and is having the same problem.

The post I found dealt with changing the email address of all users due to a company merger. It reference this Microsoft document: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319201

. What I found was that I didn?t need to set a policy like this document describes. To only change the sending email address that unity uses to send a notification follow these steps:

1. On the unity server, go to Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Active Directory Users and Computers.

2. Go to the users folder and select the Unity_(servername) user.

3. Right click on that user and go to properties.

4. Select the ?Email Addresses tab?

5. Click ?New? and select ?SMTP Address?

6. Enter the email address you want to show as the senders address. ? Click OK

7. Highlight the new address in the list and click on the ?Set As Primary? button. This will make it appear in bold.

This new address will be used when the Unity account sends emails.

We are using Unity with VM only so I don?t know what impact this might have if you are using Unity with Unified Communications.

Regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting back with your solution! It is always great to see such follow through

that will help others down the road. Worth 5 points for sure.

Thanks again,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: