Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Express Shutdown

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Unity Express 8.0.5 on an NME-CUE in a 2921 router.

Is it necessary to shut down the Unity Express module before powering off the host router?

e.g. issuing the service-module integrated-Service-Engine 1/0 shutdown command.

I ideally need to know the "official" Cisco answer and what people actually experience in the field.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James

Personal experience is that in over 6 years I've never lost a CUE module by just powering off the router (or more commonly losing power to it).

However, as a matter of best practice, I always do a shutdown on the service module if I know the host router is powering down. CUE does run under a  Linux OS and as such, IMHO it is better to be safe than sorry.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

Hope all is well!

I agree with Barry in his excellent assessment here (+5"B")

Here is as close to an "official" Cisco best practice as I could find;

Unlike other network modules, Cisco Unity Express enhanced network modules use hard disks. Online removal of disks without proper shutdown can cause file system corruption and might render the disk unusable. You must shut down the operating system on the network module in an orderly way before removing or powering down the module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/cuenme.html#wp1039972

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James

Personal experience is that in over 6 years I've never lost a CUE module by just powering off the router (or more commonly losing power to it).

However, as a matter of best practice, I always do a shutdown on the service module if I know the host router is powering down. CUE does run under a  Linux OS and as such, IMHO it is better to be safe than sorry.

HTH. Barry

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

Hope all is well!

I agree with Barry in his excellent assessment here (+5"B")

Here is as close to an "official" Cisco best practice as I could find;

Unlike other network modules, Cisco Unity Express enhanced network modules use hard disks. Online removal of disks without proper shutdown can cause file system corruption and might render the disk unusable. You must shut down the operating system on the network module in an orderly way before removing or powering down the module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/cuenme.html#wp1039972

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Guys,

I spent ages scanning Unity Express admin guides. I very rarely deal with Unity Express so thanks for helping me out.

I will remember to check the hardware docs as well in the future!

Cheers

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: