cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CCUM from 6.1 to 9

philhalton
Level 1
Level 1

I am asking this question in the Cisco Support Community because we have already asked our Cisco Partner back in January, and Cisco pre-sales support earlier this month, and I have not had a response from either.

We currently have the following:

Unified Call Manager Business Edition ver 6.1, 7828-H3 Rack server appliance, 50 seats. Includes Unity Connection Voicemail, Presence Server software Unified Com Mgr BE - 50 Seat Licenses

Cisco Media Convergence Server-7825-H3

with 2GB RAM and Two 160GB SATA HD (Presence Server)

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator 10 x 5 User Licences

CallManager Device License - 10 x 35 units

2811 Voice Bundle w/ PVDM2-16,FL-SRST-36,SP Serv,128F/256D

16-Channel Packet Voice/Fax DSP Module

4 port analogue Extension Module for Fax and other analog devices

1-Port 2nd Gen Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Int. Card - T1/E1(ISDN30 Module)

Cisco 7911, 7941,7961,7921,7925 IP Phones

Cisco Aironet 1240AG series access points (lightweight version)(Warehouse)

Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controller for up to 50 AP's

SFP Module

We need to upgrade 6.1 to the latest version and ideally would like to run this on our VMware HP hosts as a virtual machine which I understand is possible.

What I would like to know is how to get from 6.1 to 9 in the most painless way possible, and exactly what products we need to purchase. Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of?

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to provide the exact CUCM version.

Assuming you're on 6.1(4) or later, you can jump directly, assuming your HW supports it, but looking at the specs, it won't.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

The official and supported path is to go to AT LEAST 8.0(2) on MCS, then DRS and restore on the VM.

Then you can finish the upgrade.

Unofficial path, is to DRS your version into a VM directly, perform the upgrade there, and once on target version. Create a whole new VM, and DRS from the VM you upgraded, into a fresh install.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi Jaime

That definitely helps, we are on 6.1(4).

So install 6.1(4) onto a vm, restore from a DRS of our existing installation, and then upgrade to 9.1.

What about licencing? What exactly do we need to order from our Cisco partner to get to that point?

Regards

Phil Halton

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

You're missing that once on 9, you need to DRS again from that VM you upgraded, into a 9 fresh install.

Since that's the unsupported way, we won't provide any intermediate licenses.

Whatever licenses you had installed on CUCM, will be used for the ELM migration.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Noted Jaime, so what do I order from Cisco? I assume our existing licences will need to be upgraded and the licencing model has changed.

Regards

Phil