Helpful
Replies

upgrade CUCM from 9.1 to 11.5

fly
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have CUCM and IM and presence for many years, and version is 9.1

pub and sub running on two vm, and IM running on a vm( it is a test version)

I saw we can use PCD to migrate MCS from one cluster to a new cluster running on virtual machine , Can we use PCD migrate our CUCM and IM(test version)(running on virtual server not MCS) to a new cluster (running on new virtual servers)?

I saw upgrade CUCM by using PCD is a easy job, If we upgrade by myself  we have to migrate and update by myself.

another question: if we update CUCM from 9.1 to 11.5,Do we need refresh firmware of our many IP phones? can we keep our iPhone old firmware. because we don't wanto to update firmware of ip phone.

because our IM and presence is test version software(for history reason ), we have two choice:

1 keep OLD version 9.1 IM and intergrate with version 11.5 CUCM, I don't know is there any compatible question.

2 buy update version 11.5 IM and presence, and using PCD migrate version 9.1 IM to version 11.5 IM, but our IM is a test verstion ,I  don't know is there any problem during migrate, or we can buy a total new IM and presence software.

thank you!

Tom

23 Replies 23

fly
Level 2
Level 2

another question:

how about license when update or migrate from 9.1 to 11.5, Can license on old 9.1 system be update/migrate 11.5 VM automatically?

hi,

if u have SWSS contract , then u can place order through PUT to get latest version for CUCM  and IMP.

You can refer the link with Table 12 and 13 for CUCM upgrade through PCD and Table 14 and 15 for IMP

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/11_x/cucm_b_cucm-imp-compatibility-matrix-11x.html#reference_7F05AD16F0D73E4256C4590B3B34F502

you can keep the old firmware's but I think, since you are already using CUCM9 , most of the IP firmware's would be latest OR you can upgrade the phone firmware to latest on CUCM 9 before up gradation else u need to upload same firmware on CUCM 11.  

Licenses won't be upgraded automatically. Once u upgrade successfully to CUCM11.x, call manager would run in DEMO period for 60 days. You can share the   PLM generated request file with licensing@cisco.com to get permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman, another question, can we download device package of version 11.5.1 , and upload it to version 9.1.1 CUCM and update phone firmware one by one, do you know cisco firmware compatible with third party phones?

I saw device package compatible information on cisco website like this

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/matrix/CMDP_BK_CCBDA741_00_cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix/CMDP_BK_CCBDA741_00_cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix_chapter_00.html#CMDP_RF_C6E2BC42_00

it is said Native in UCM, what's that mean?

thank you

Tom

I check my device package version like below

cm-locale-zh_CN-9.1.1.1000-1.cop
cmterm-jabbertablet-100v10-dm.cop
cmterm-devicepack9.1.1.21033-4.cop
cmterm-devicepack9.1.1.21017-2.cop

Device package are added when particular phone model is not supported in that Call Manager version.

After we upload device package in server, we need to restart the server. It has to be uploaded in all call manager servers in cluster.

regds,

aman

Hi Tom,

No.

You need to upload device package available for CUCM11 .5 in CUCM11.5 only. You cannot upload in CUCM 9.1.

Native in CUCM means that particular release of firmware would be coming by default in that CUCM version .

regds,

aman

Hi,aman,

Thank you!

my current version is 9.1.1.1000-11  I want to update to latest version of cucm and IM,more questions

1 we have cisco phones and third party phones, if we keep old firmware on all phone,is there any compatible problem with version 11.5.1 of cucm?  I am afraid If we update to new version of new firmware, third party phones can't work.    

2 if we use PCD to migrate version 9.1.1 to 11.5.1, PCD will shutdown old CUCM pub, and start new migrate version V11.5.1, after V11.5.1 start, Can I update old phone firmware at this time, but I am afraid if some phones register to this CUCM before I update old phone firmware to 11.5 cucm ,these Phones will start download new firmware and restart, how can I avoid phone download new firmware from new v11.5.1 cucm.

3 we have 1600  cisco phones and third party phones, if all phone restart at same time and download firmware at same time , I don't know how much time 1600 phones need to download new firmware in LAN

4 I know our IM is a test version software, can we update to new official version of IM by using PCD.

5 you said firmware in version 9 is latest version? is that true?, I check cisco document, I found some latest firmware version are different than in version 9, if latest firmware version different in version 9 ,is that mean we must update phone firmware to latest firmware in version 11.5.1 and can't use old firmware although I upload version 9 firmware to version 11.5.1 CUCM?

thank you again for kindly help!

Tom

Hi Tom,

For third party phones, what is the firmware being used so that someone else can share views on the same or u can take assistance of TAC .

For Cisco phones, if u intend to keep old firmware , u can remove tftp option under DHCP pool till the time u upload old firmware on new CUCM 11.x.Take maintenance window for same.

regds,

aman

Hi,Aman,

Thank you!

I will discuss with my customer.

I don't know version is there any compatible problem when I use version 9.1 firmware device package on version 11.5.1 CUCM, I haven't found document on CCO.

because customer has many phone locate everywhere, some phones locate at foreign countries, they are afraid if we update cucm to 11.5.1, some phones can't get up or need long time to update firmware (because maintenance window is just 5-6 hours)

If we change remove option on DHCP, we need sometime to make dhcp changes download to phone?

thank you

Tom

Hi Aman

lot of questions

you said remove TFTP config on dhcp server,

I understand I config two tftp server on my dhcp server, primary one is tftp service on pub and secondary one is tftp service on sub.

if we migrate old pub to new pub , before migration , I remove first tftp server on my dhcp server, at this point, do I need reset my all phones to re-get just only secondary tftp server address? does phone use tftp server address in their nvram?

Then I power on my new pub, and upload my old 9.1.1 firmware files to new pub (v11.5.1), at this point, I think my new pub will use V11.5.1 firmware as default , do I need reconfig device default in device->device setting->device default   to point to my V9.1.1 firmware version,that is a huge job, and I can't make mistake.

thank you!

Tom

Hi Tom,

the phones would automatically switch over to second tftp when first is not reachable.

Yes, u need to do that. Just make a note of what all IP phone models u are using in CUCM 9 or take a snapshot from Device ---device settings -device defaults from CUCM 9 .You can copy /paste in notepad the firmware names

Again paste the same , in CUCM 11 saved in above notepad.

regds,

aman

Hi,Aman,

Thank you!

we don't need remove primary tftp configuration from my dhcp server?

if I migrate pub from v9.1.1 to v11.5.1, PCD will shutdown old pub ,all phone switch to sub and second tftp, and pcd will install new pub and power on,  after power on new pub, all phone can communicate with new pub( I keep the network address same), at this point , the old firmware still need time to upload to v11.5.1 pub , and need time to config device default settin , so all phone will get new version 11.5.1 firmware?

I mean before I migrate to new pub,I remove primary tftp configutation from DHCP server, and reset all phone, so all phones will get just only one secondary tftp server address, and I migrate pub , after I migrate pub , I add primary tftp configuration on the dhcp server and remover secondary tftp server , then migrate sub

is this a possible way?

thank you

Tom

Hi Tom,

While migrating using PCD, no changes should be performed in configuration.

Secondly,the migration task created in PCD would shut down the  servers once upgraded /migrated to new version.

regds,

aman

Hi,Aman

we are not just migrate, we will migrate  and at same time update to Version 11.5.1 and keep same ip address as old pub and sub,IM  and keep version 9.1.1 phone firmware(if compatible with v11.5.1)

I am afraid if new pub V11.5.1 online before I upload version 9.1.1 firmware to new pub , all phone will switch back to new pub (because we keep same ip address).

Does update from v9.1.1 to v11.5.1 , will keep v9.1.1 firmware? I didn't test it.

I found a new method to solve my problem

I just migrate pub at first and change new pub ip address to a different ip address, when V11.5.1 new pub online , I upload v9.1.1 firmware to tftp directory and modify device default configuration and reset tftp service  and rehost license

after that , I define a readdress task in PCD, and readdress new pub to old pub's ip address.

next define a migrate task for  sub,cup , repeat same step as migrate pub

is this possible?

thank you!

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: