cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUPS from 8.5 to 9.0 ? Is it possible ?

Driss BENATTOU
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

is it   possible to upgrade directly CUPS from 8.5 to 9.0.

when i do it, i get the following error :

Error encountered: Version mismatch. Please switch versions on the publisher and  try again

after checking logs :

I found that :

ERROR: The CUCM Publisher must have 9.0 installed before upgrading CUCM IM and Presence to 9.0.1.10000-21|<LVL::Info>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|       CUCM Publisher currently has installed:|<LVL::Info>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Active Version:   |<LVL::Info>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Inactive Version: |<LVL::Info>

Please note that CUCM is already on version 9.0 active partition.

Regards

Driss

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Driss,

As per documentation:

Version alignment

Release 9.0(1) provides a tighter integration between IM and Presence and Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM). From Release 9.0(1) onwards, IM and Presence and Unified CM software versions must match. For two software versions to match, they must have the same major and minor release number. Major and minor release numbers are defined as follows:

9.x.y

where 9 = major release number, x = minor release number and y = maintenance release number.

For example, IM and Presence Release 9.0.2.10000-1 is compatible with Unified CM Release 9.0.12.30000-3, but it is not compatible with Unified CM Release 9.1.1.10000-5. Similarly, Unified CM Release 8.6.2.10000-6 is not compatible with IM and Presence Release 9.0.1.10000-1.

For fresh installations, Unified CM 9.0(1) must be installed before IM and Presence 9.0(1) is installed. For upgrades, Unified CM must be upgraded to Release 9.0(1) before IM and Presence is upgraded. Upgrades must be performed within the same maintenance window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_I87B437D_00_installing-cucm-90_chapter_010.html#CUCM_RF_V2A4278A_00

Can you provide the complete version of CUCM you have up and running?

Also, it appears that CUP isn't able to fetch the version from the CUCM:

ERROR: The CUCM Publisher must have 9.0 installed before upgrading CUCM IM and Presence to 9.0.1.10000-21|<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|       CUCM Publisher currently has installed:|<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Active Version:   |<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Inactive Version: |<:INFO>

Normally, you should see the active and inactive version on these log lines.  The fact they are blank means that the icup.sh api was not able to fetch the version from the CUCM. The first thing I would check would be the connectivity with the CUCM publisher (admin gui, system->cucm publisher is an easy way). Also check cli network connectivity and/or /etc/host file. Quite often the issue is really a security password or configuration issue. (The same page can be used to reset/update the values of the hostname/ipaddress/security password).

If you are certain the security password is correct and the /etc/hosts has both the cup and cucm nodes, I would advise opening a TAC case so this can be investigated further via root access.

HTH.

Regards,
Harmit.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Driss,

As per documentation:

Version alignment

Release 9.0(1) provides a tighter integration between IM and Presence and Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM). From Release 9.0(1) onwards, IM and Presence and Unified CM software versions must match. For two software versions to match, they must have the same major and minor release number. Major and minor release numbers are defined as follows:

9.x.y

where 9 = major release number, x = minor release number and y = maintenance release number.

For example, IM and Presence Release 9.0.2.10000-1 is compatible with Unified CM Release 9.0.12.30000-3, but it is not compatible with Unified CM Release 9.1.1.10000-5. Similarly, Unified CM Release 8.6.2.10000-6 is not compatible with IM and Presence Release 9.0.1.10000-1.

For fresh installations, Unified CM 9.0(1) must be installed before IM and Presence 9.0(1) is installed. For upgrades, Unified CM must be upgraded to Release 9.0(1) before IM and Presence is upgraded. Upgrades must be performed within the same maintenance window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_I87B437D_00_installing-cucm-90_chapter_010.html#CUCM_RF_V2A4278A_00

Can you provide the complete version of CUCM you have up and running?

Also, it appears that CUP isn't able to fetch the version from the CUCM:

ERROR: The CUCM Publisher must have 9.0 installed before upgrading CUCM IM and Presence to 9.0.1.10000-21|<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|       CUCM Publisher currently has installed:|<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Active Version:   |<:INFO>

12/14/2012 01:13:52 upgrade_manager.sh|            Inactive Version: |<:INFO>

Normally, you should see the active and inactive version on these log lines.  The fact they are blank means that the icup.sh api was not able to fetch the version from the CUCM. The first thing I would check would be the connectivity with the CUCM publisher (admin gui, system->cucm publisher is an easy way). Also check cli network connectivity and/or /etc/host file. Quite often the issue is really a security password or configuration issue. (The same page can be used to reset/update the values of the hostname/ipaddress/security password).

If you are certain the security password is correct and the /etc/hosts has both the cup and cucm nodes, I would advise opening a TAC case so this can be investigated further via root access.

HTH.

Regards,
Harmit.

Hi,

The complete  version of CUCM is 9.0.1.10000-37

Regarding connectivity, I checked on the CUPS by going to System > CUCM Publisher and I got that all is fine. I also saw that CUCM version is retrieved.

Once I'll be onsite, I will paste a screenshot to you.

Regards

Driss

Hi,

The problem is resolved.

There was something wrong into etc/hosts file.

the new message is :

12/14/2012  15:06:22 upgrade_manager.sh|CUCM new_version check passed.   ACTIVE:9.0.1.10000-37, INACTIVE:8.6.2.21900-5|<:DEBUG>

Thank you very much for your help.

From GUI, I always got that all was fine (refer to following screenshot)

Best Regards

Driss

Awesome Driss! Glad to know it was that! See you around :-)

Regards,

Harmit.