Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 11.5 to 12.0(1)

moe2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys!

I am trying to upgrade our system from 11.5 to 12.0(1), and I need to know what could be the risk. I have publisher CUCM and it has the following services:

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager

- Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal

- Cisco Prime License Manager

Cisco Unified Communications Manager:

- Cisco Unified CM Administration.

- Cisco Unified Reporting.

- Disaster Recovery System.

- Cisco Unified Serviceability. 

- Cisco Unified OS Administration.

*Cisco Unity Connection

*Cisco Prime License Manager

there is services under each applications.

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence.

Now I found CUCM and IM&P upgrade file but it is saying only for 12.0 to 12.0(1). To do it from 11.X to 12.0(1) it has to be done using PUT. We have 8841 and 8865 and 6901 and Telepresence SX80 Codec PHONES would these be effacted by the upgrade? What is the proper steps to do upgrade all the applications above including TFTP. I am looking to do complete upgrade. What files or tools do I need in order to do a safe upgrade? Do I need upgrade both pub and sub? and how? I beilve our contract allows us to upgrade the system with no problems. I am no expart but I am in learning curve here and I need help. 

Publisher and Sub for all apps. Please tell me if you need more describtion of what I need if I am not clear. 

Thanks

//Moe

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Start by reading the upgrade guide and release notes, those are the mandatory reading for this and what anyone who is planning an upgrade needs to read. They have everything you need to know about the upgrade.

I havea video of the procedure at youtube.com/smargada but it's not a replacement for the documentation.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition make sure you understand how Smart Licensing works as 12.0 CUCM, CUC releases use Smart Licensing.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Start by reading the upgrade guide and release notes, those are the mandatory reading for this and what anyone who is planning an upgrade needs to read. They have everything you need to know about the upgrade.

I havea video of the procedure at youtube.com/smargada but it's not a replacement for the documentation.

HTH

java

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition make sure you understand how Smart Licensing works as 12.0 CUCM, CUC releases use Smart Licensing.

I thank you all about the replies however, I have done some readings. I am not sure if I am getting this correctly. Does the CUCM has to be online meaning on the internet ? if I do not want to put it on the internet in 60 days will cisco expire the licenses? 

these are my concerns and I am not sure I understood it well enough. 

Thank you!

//Moe

I am assuming the question is in regards to smart licensing, if so the answer is no it does not as you can deploy satellite server or use http proxy.

No No actually I am talking about does the application itself "CUCM" has to be on cloud or on the internet. 

not like local. 

no, in fact you don't want it to be on the internet.  It's OK to allow outbound connection from CUCM to internet, but not the other way around.

Oh Yes sure I do agree with you. I do not want cucm to be on the internet. I asked just only to make sure that cisco not foceing that. However, I need to have outbound connection from cucm to the outside. only on the part of smart license or more information need to be uploaded to cisco I got that I have to upload every 30 days (recomanded) if I do want to sync system. or using setalite server. or as you said http proxy. I have to discuss this with my manger if it is worth it to upgrade from 11.5 and in fact I do not see major differences between the two versions. except smart license and the new spark products. 

I outline all the licensing options here: https://youtu.be/dUnGEk2teiQ

There is no way to use 12.0 without smart licensing and many new features on 12.0 will not be backported.

HTH

java

Hello Jaime, 

I thank you a lot you did really a good job on these videos! 

I am still working on the upgrade and I will let you if did it successfully :) 

regards,  

hi Jaime :

thanks for your video channel it's very informative i had question regarding how to position CUCM 12 for flex plan on premises model and the smart licensing traditional model? what's the key differentiation for two deployments ?

thanks for your response   

Reach out to your local Cisco sales engineer or your AM for that information, I'm not a sales guy so I really can't provide that information.

HTH

java

thanks for concern

Hello Sir,
Could you share me YouTube link again?
Because YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.
Thanks.

im trying to check your channel but i cant find it
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: