Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from 4.1(3) to 8.5 Bus Edition

eoinwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Messy one here ... I have to upgrade from 4.1(3) to 8.5 BE.

Now the way i'd like approach this is to just to a fresh install of 8.5 BE on new MSC server and not bother with multiple migrations, but how then do I migrate the licenses?

If i "migrate" the licenses will I then also get voicemail on 8.5BE?

Regards,

Eoin.

7 Replies 7

Thanks Srini,

Didnt spot that in the ordering guide. So Based on a mixture of 150 phones in call manager 4.1 and 150 mailboxes in Unity is this everything I need to migrate to 8.5 5000(not 6000):

MCS7828I4-K9-BE8Unified CMBE 7828-I4 appliance 8.X, 50   Basic UCL (VM incl)1

UPG-CMBE-ENHCMBE Enhanced User Connect License -   Upgrade150
UCSS-BE-ENH-3-1UCSS for CMBE Enhanced User - 3 Years - 1 User150

From reading the notes I simply:

1. Order the above assuming I havent missed anything
  2. New 8.5 install from scratch on new server (I dont need to migrate original database just the licences)
  3. Contact licensing@cisco.com to migrate old CM and UNITY license to 8.5 to give me 150 users and mailboxes on 8.5 using any phone they want?

Surely its not as simple as that ?

The only thing I am not sure of is Uconn. Now the example in the OG is CME/CUE. So since you don't get credit for CUE mail boxes it makes you buy them. However in your case you have Unity. I woud think you would still need to get the VM SKU too but I haven't stepped through it. Honestly Cisco has done a very poor job of documenting these scenarios. As an example there is nothing for 6K migrations. I had to open a case and all I got was to use 3x3 program..

The OG should have had all scenarios documented...

Srini

Thank you all. I'm facing same issue, getting DMA to upgrade to 6.1.5, then I wand a DVD installer for CUCM 6.1.5. I searched on cisco.com but I cannot find the DVD for callmanager. Can anyone help me please?

Abdallah,

You will not find installable CUCM media on CCO.  We only post upgrade media.  Also, CUCM 6.1 reached End of Sale in September of 2010.  So you cannot order the media either.  Bottom line is that because this upgrade took so long to take place, there is no available path from 4.1 to 8.x.  Your best bet is to BAT off as much info as you can, install the 8.5 BE version, then BAT the data back in.  You will also need to email licensing about converting the licenses to BE licenses.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Dakeller,

Thanks man for your information. I tested this procedure and you are right. But I tried to upgrade 8.5 on virtual machine for testing purposes, but this doesn't work.

Regards,

Abdallah

Abdallah,

You are correct.  We do not allow the MCS version of Business Edition to be installed on VM.  If you want to install CUCM and Unity Connection in VM, then you will need to install the Cisco Business Edition 6000 (BE6K).  Cisco has expressly prohibited the Cisco Business Edition 5000 (BE5K for the MCS 7828) from installing in VM.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer