cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CUCM 10.5 on 6K M2 to 11.5 on 6K M5

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

What is the correct way to upgrade the cluster? I know I can upgrade to the latest supported on the M2, and if supported on the M5 do a cold migration to the M5 hardware and then upgrade to 11.5. Or i could do a DRS restore to a 10.5 system on the M5, then upgrade that to 11.5 (I'd likely do another DRS backup/restore to a clean 11.5 install). Lastly I could export l the system data from 10.5, import that into a clean 10.5 using g BAT and then upgrade that to 11.5. Is 1 method better than the others? I know options 1 and 2 would carry over CDR data, where option 3 wouldn't. I haven't had luck using PCD in the past in the lab, but if that is preferred and doesn't negatively impact the source systems I'm ok with trying that as well(if it supports UCCX as well that would be great since that is part of the servers to be upgraded).

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no "correct" way, there are options, and you choose the one you prefer, and can do based on your scenario and resources.

Either option will get you the same result, I see no point in using BAT when DRS would do the same and more.

You can use PCD to do this, and it would also migrate all the info, depending on your plan, you might need to spin up a lab network to avoid overlapping IPs and use NAT.

Refer to the PCD documentation on your UCCX question, it contains the compatibility with each PCD feature to the products and versions.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I see that PCD can be used to also change ip addresses.  Would there be any issue with moving the 3 servers in the CUCM cluster and re-iping the Publisher and the 2 nodes?  I'd be moving the Pub from 1 site to another site during this process I suspect it would be simpler to let PCD do this rather than restoring the cluster and re-iping it the traditional way.  Also, would PCD handle the prepare cluster for rollback task if required during a migration(I expect to rename the servers during this upgrade as well so concerned about the certificates not matching)?

From what i've read in the documentation i might be able to use PCD to do the UCCX migration as well so I'll look into that more.    

A PCD migration allows you to change the network information, and you can change the hostname OR the domain.

No, PCD does not change any settings in your configuration (in source or target), if you want to use the prepare cluster for rollback, you need to do that manually.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Changing the hostname triggers an automatic self-signed certificate regeneration. This causes all devices in the cluster to reset so that they can download an updated ITL file. If your cluster is using CA-signed certificates, you will need to have them re-signed. If the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster security is operating in mixed mode, secure connections to this node will fail after changing the hostname or IP address until you run the CTL client and update the CTL file or run utils ctl update CTLFile if you used the tokenless CTL feature. Please read these documents carefully:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/ipchange/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100_chapter_01.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/11_5_1/ipchange/cucm_b_change-ip-address-and-hostname_1151/cucm_b_change-ip-address-and-hostname_1151_chapter_01.html

If I come across changing IP Address or hostname, I follow the procedure Initial Trust List and certificate regeneration in this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/9_1_1/ipchange/ipchg911.html

• Set the enterprise parameter Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0 to True before you start PCD migration. Follow the procedure as mentioned in above URL.
  • Perform PCD migration with IP Address or Hostname Change.
  • Once everything is migrated and working fine, Set the enterprise parameter Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0 to False. Follow the procedure as mentioned in above URL.

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.