file for the same) --> take the DRS backup of updated VM --> recreate the
VM image on UCS as per CUCM 10.0 OVA template & restore the DRS backup on
this new image

Please correct me if I am wrong?

One more question: in case in older version I have 1 Pub and 1 Sub and 2
TFTP+MOH server and in new UCS I want to have 1 Publisher and 2 Subscribers and
2 TFTP+MOH server than I think I should add the new subscriber after the
upgrade?

Any document on this will be very helpful.

Thanks

ST

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ST,

You can follow the same process for a "jump" upgrade to get to 10.0 the same as you would to 9.1(2).  Same process, just with a different final version. 

But might I suggest a different path that might make the upgrade easier.  When 10.0(1) was released, we also released a product/utility called Prime Collaboration Deployment (PCD).   PCD is an installable ISO similar to other UC products, but PCD is a utility that allows you to directly and automatically migrate from a 6.1(x), 7.1(x), 8.x or 9.x version to 10.0.  One very nice feature of a PCD migration is you can migrate a live system to a new set of IP/hostname VM servers to bring up in parallel to your existing cluster. This way you can test on the 10.0 system prior to switching everyone over.  After you complete testing, you can either change the DHCP TFTP reference and have the phones register to the new cluster -or- you can use PCD to rehost/reIP the 10.0 cluster back to the same IP/hostname of your 7.x system once you shutdown the MCS servers. 

If you are part of the Cisco User Group, I did a session that detailed the configuration and operation of PCD.  You can review the replay at Collaboration User Group Briefing Replay Archive

For information on getting ordering PCD, check out Re: Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment Licensing

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ST,

You can follow the same process for a "jump" upgrade to get to 10.0 the same as you would to 9.1(2).  Same process, just with a different final version. 

But might I suggest a different path that might make the upgrade easier.  When 10.0(1) was released, we also released a product/utility called Prime Collaboration Deployment (PCD).   PCD is an installable ISO similar to other UC products, but PCD is a utility that allows you to directly and automatically migrate from a 6.1(x), 7.1(x), 8.x or 9.x version to 10.0.  One very nice feature of a PCD migration is you can migrate a live system to a new set of IP/hostname VM servers to bring up in parallel to your existing cluster. This way you can test on the 10.0 system prior to switching everyone over.  After you complete testing, you can either change the DHCP TFTP reference and have the phones register to the new cluster -or- you can use PCD to rehost/reIP the 10.0 cluster back to the same IP/hostname of your 7.x system once you shutdown the MCS servers. 

If you are part of the Cisco User Group, I did a session that detailed the configuration and operation of PCD.  You can review the replay at Collaboration User Group Briefing Replay Archive

For information on getting ordering PCD, check out Re: Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment Licensing

Thanks,

Dan Keller

When using PCD to migrate a live system for testing, do you have to migrate the entire cluster (5 servers) or can you just do a pub/sub?   

I take it you should have the License manager up and running prior to migration too?

Thanks,

John Spencer

John,

When using PCD, you must migrate all 5 nodes at one time.  The reason is that PCD does not support migration of one node of a cluster independent of the rest of the nodes of a cluster.  It's all or none.  And PCD will actually block you from defining the migration cluster if you do not map all source nodes to a target VM.   If you actually migrate, there in no real penalty for not migrating all the nodes.  Is there a reason you would not migrate all nodes at one time?

As for the licensing manager, that is not required to migrate.  After migration, you will have 60 days to migrate the licenses from the 7.1 cluster to the 10.x environment. If you plan on making the PLM server standalone, then you can do that ahead of time, but it's not required. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

The reason is cost of VM resources. 

Thanks for the quick response.  I look forward to testing this. 

Thanks,

John Spencer

Hi Daniel,

I will be doing a cluster of Cm(7.1.5),Unity(7.0.2) and UCCX to 10.x ,Does PCD provide upgrade path for UCCX as well?

I can not view the PCD video, can you grant access to me?

Thank you

Rakesh

Upgrades Yes but the support is from 9 to 10. No support for migrations

Check the release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/PCD/CUCM_BK_PB8976C2_00_pcd_rns_1001/CUCM_BK_PB8976C2_00_pcd_rns_1001_chapter_01.html

Thanks

Srini

Hi Rakesh,

You must be a Cisco Customer Connection Program member to access the archive with the replay links and presentation Dan was referring to. Briefings often include roadmap discussions which is confidential, therefore program membership is required to attend live and/or view replays. 

Please visit www.cisco.com/go/ccp to join.  The program registration process includes acceptance of non-disclosure language in the Customer Connection Program Terms and Conditions agreement. Be sure to accept this agreement, and complete and submit the registration profile.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Lisa Marcyes

Thank you,  I will try. I could not access before.

Rakesh Jain (RJ)

Hi Dan :

i have old servers version 4.1.3 PUB and one SUB the plan is upgrade to 10.0 and the cluster will be PUB and 5 SUBs ,

i am planning to run the 7,1,3 version direct on UCS using 10.0 OVA and use 4.1 DMA  output on this vesion and then use PCD to upgrade to 10.0 and change IP addresses as per customer request , do u have any comments about above plan ?

and my question is can i use PCD to upgrade to 10.0 and change IPs and in the same time add new SUBs to the cluster ??

thanks for your help .

Based on the upgrade path you are planning to follow and the number of servers, I believe that doing a new install on UCM 10.x and re-adding the devices and users will be the better approach.  With only a pub and sub, I don't expect you to have more than 3000 devices (I would expect more like 1500-2000 at most).  With that relatively small a device count, I would recommend just BATting out as much as you can for devices and users, and just install a new 10.x cluster (with new IP, hostname, etc) and then move the devices over to the new cluster. 

Although we have a procedure for this upgrade, you are looking at A LOT of work to get to the 10.x version. 

Additionally, a new install will give you the chance to re-architect the dialplan to come into line with new recommendations (E.164, Local Route Groups, Transformations, etc). 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Daniel ,

I am running CMBE ( Call manager business edition ) version 7.1.3 on MCS 7828H3. Can i migrate directly or indirectly on CCM 10.X using UCS server?

if yes will it be a normal business edition after migration to 10.X or it will be a seprate standalone CCM.

reason is i am using business edition and i have unity connection also with it.

how can i migrate business edition ( CCM + unity connection )

looking for your kind responce

Zeeshan,

If your current environment is a BE5000, then there is no direct path to a BE6000/BE7000.   You can follow the process described at Migration Guide: BE5000 to BE6000.  Essentially the UCM and UCx must be migrated separately to their own VM install. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hello Daniel,

I have 2 MCS servers running 7.1 and in new i have 2 BE6000 now using PCD can i install PUB in 1st BE6000 and SUB in 2nd BE6000 does PCD allow you to add 2 different esxi in the target 1 for PUB and other for SUB.

Thanks,,

Alwin.

Alwin,

First off, sorry for my delay in answering, I did not see this posting in my normal feed from this thread. 

In PCD, you can add multiple ESXi hosts into PCD, which will allow you to do what you want to do.  Remember that you must install the OVA's on the ESXi for PCD to find, but once the OVA is installed, you configure PCD to migrate Pub to one VM on BE6K#1 and the Sub on a VM on BE6K#2.  The only caveat is that you must use ESXi Foundation or higher.  Hypervisor version does not have the API's that PCD needs.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: