cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Exchange 2003 to 2010 (Unity 4)

wisdum1010
Level 1
Level 1

I just had a quick question about upgrading my current Exchange 2

003/Unity4 setup.  Should I upgrade to all the newest Unity/CCM and then upgrade the server?  Or should I upgrade the Exchange 2003 server first and then upgrade Unity and CCM?  Links would be helpfel, thanks.

9 Replies 9

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrew,

Before you upgrade... Know that Exchange 2010 is not supported yet with

Unity (Unity may not work, and you will not receive TAC support). See

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/2016950#2016950

Hope that helps,

Brad

Brad

Thanks for the quick response.  I have done a bit of research and see where in about a week Unity 7 will support Exchange 2010 UM.  Here is a link to that.  https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/33149?tstart=0

I guess I am just trying to plan for this and I am trying to figure out what I should do first. 

To add-on, Unity 4x only supports Exchange 2000/Exchange 2003.  Unity 5x and above support Exchange 2007 and/or Exchange 2003.  In a mixed-mode integration, Unity needs to leverage the Exchange 2007 server as the primary mailstore.  So, you would need to update the UC environment before making any upgrades to Exchange.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for everyone's responses.  I have decided to change out my Exchange 2003 server for different hardware.  I was doing some reading and I saw that

I can just add another Exchange 2003 server to my current one and move mailboxes over.  I also read that I can change Unity Partner Server to the new Exchange server.

My question now is do I move the mailboxes first and then change the partner server?  Or do I change the partner server setting first and then move mailboxes?  Here is a link to what im reading:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_060.html#wp1126479

I'm just running into an issue with a dying server that desperately needs to be replaced.  Plus, it holds me over long enough to upgrade my phones (and then exchange).

Thanks

Hi

The important bit isn't when you partner to the new server, so much as that you run the Perms Wiz to set up the permissions on the mailstore on the new server before you move any mailboxes or change the partner server.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I am having a hard time finding information on the Permission Wizard... I found a site but it is going over initial setup with Exchange 5.5/2000.

Its all the same AD and Exchange environment, is that still neccesary?

Yes, you need to re-run the Permissions Wizard to get rights on the new Partner Server. Go to www.ciscounitytools.com and look for Permissions Wizard. The most recent help file is contained there.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi

Yep - you're adding a new mailstore when you set up the Unity server initially. You're adding a new mailstore now, so you need to assign the rights to those stores...

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Great, thank you for all the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: