Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading with PCD to 11.5 without shutdown current CUCM

Hi!!!

I have a task on hands; upgrading CUCM 8 to 11.5.

I'm thinking using PCD but I want to use my lab to deploy a parallel CUCM. I want to go to customer and retrieve the cop files and then use the migration on lab. I know that PCD tries to shutdown the current CUCM using simple migration. Is there possible to use PCD to do this migration without shutting down the production one? I want to have both working for testing and implement new features and when the time came I disconnect the old one and connect the new one.

Do you think is possible to do that with PCD ou there is another way. On Cisco Docs from release 8 to 11.5 only PCD is supported. 

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My apologies, I didn't pick up on that you said simple migration in your original post. The information I provided was for a network migration.

If you would like to have both servers running at the same time, I would personally go with the network migration to new IP addressing for your lab environment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Unger
Level 7
Level 7

Hi There,

When PCD sets up the migration task, you should see a forced pause step inserted before the original 8.X cluster is shut down. This means that you have control of whether or not PCD will shut down the existing cluster (it should not happen automatically).

Here is a link to the documentation:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_pcd-administration-guide-1051/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_ucmap-administration-guide-1051_chapter_010.html

"While the migration task is running, depending on the type of migration task, some user operations might be needed. For example, if you are performing a "migration with network migration," the sequence automatically inserts a "Forced Pause" into the sequence after all the servers have been installed. This will cause the migration task to pause after all the new servers are installed but before any of the source machines are shut down."

Hope this helps!

- Jon

*** Please remember to rate helpful posts and mark answers as correct if appropriate

Hi!!!

Thanks for you answer. My problem is that the PCD only apply the cop file to the new server only after he shutdown de old one, right?

I know he does that because of network conflict but I would like to create a lab environment like the customer has and recreate the new server and have both working at the same time. I don’t know if PCD, if he does not access the old server and do nor perform the shutdown, if he continue and deploy the new one.

I don’t know if I'm clear on that.  

Best Regards,

My apologies, I didn't pick up on that you said simple migration in your original post. The information I provided was for a network migration.

If you would like to have both servers running at the same time, I would personally go with the network migration to new IP addressing for your lab environment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: